Stuck fasteners - You are not alone!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
As someone wisely said to me, it's not the job that takes the time, it's the complications!

I'm sure we have all been plagued at times by stuck fasteners that turn an apparently straightforward job into a time (and knuckle) consuming ordeal.

Take heart that we practical boat owners (surely a contradiction in terms?) are not alone. NASA have recently been struggling for months with a couple of stuck fasteners on a canister that brought back samples of an asteroid from space. It's reported that a spacecraft involved cost a billion dollars (presumably, then, the overall project cost zillions), so it ain't just down to cost-cutting in materials and staff skills by boat-builders.

Stuck fasteners are obviously the work of gremlins, as we always suspected.

Nasa finally unlocks $1bn canister of asteroid dust

penberth3

Visit site
.......Take heart that we practical boat owners (surely a contradiction in terms?) are not alone. NASA have recently been struggling for months with a couple of stuck fasteners on a canister that brought back samples of an asteroid from space......

At least they had the container back on Terra Firma. It could have been worse!

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
As someone wisely said to me, it's not the job that takes the time, it's the complications!

I'm sure we have all been plagued at times by stuck fasteners that turn an apparently straightforward job into a time (and knuckle) consuming ordeal.

Take heart that we practical boat owners (surely a contradiction in terms?) are not alone. NASA have recently been struggling for months with a couple of stuck fasteners on a canister that brought back samples of an asteroid from space. It's reported that a spacecraft involved cost a billion dollars (presumably, then, the overall project cost zillions), so it ain't just down to cost-cutting in materials and staff skills by boat-builders.

Stuck fasteners are obviously the work of gremlins, as we always suspected.

Nasa finally unlocks $1bn canister of asteroid dust
Doesn't give instil much confidence in their examination skills judging by the second picture down.
What is the technician on the left bending over and looking for? Dropped a missing link?
( the chief seems to be examining a pair of knickers )? Sorry to lower the tone.

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
I have to wonder which is the more harsh environment, the sea or going to space and smashing into an asteroid. I'm going for the sea...

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Galling, presumably. The article talks about a "non-magnetic" stainless steel, so a 300 series of some sort.

Totally agree

I have found that any dust on a stainless steel thread will cause pickup that galling of the stainless making it impossible to unscrew the thread

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
I always seem to spend two days using all sorts of voodoo but adding torque is what fixes it. Had a proper fight with a brake caliper once when all it really needed was a 2 metre spanner