STs Swansea review

Richard_Peevor

Visit site
After receiving my Sailing Today in the post I read with interest the article on Swansea, the new home for my boat in the the New Year..

The most interesting paragraph I thought related to the proximity of the marina to the scantily clad women partaking in hen night activities... that should be interesting!

The sailing info didnt seem any more comprehensive than that in the almanac combined with the marina info booklet. I was a little surprised there wasnt more info on the surrounding sailing area but the local things to do and see and eating out bits were interesting.

What do others think?

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
I visited twice this year. The marina is the only place to stay - yacht club can't take visitors.
The marina is the usual crowd of deck to deck yachts set in the middle of a high-rise building site, which seems to be going further down-market as time passes. No outlook and no views. Not a cheap place for a single-handed sailor and no alternatives.
The "scantily clad" were more rotund than I would have chosen on the 5 nights I was there !!
Access is is easy - although other members have had knockdowns approaching in heavy SW winds (lifeboat came out). Swansea bay is no place in strong Southerly winds and no easy shelter.
But a lot of people already there and evelopment of a new marina has started.
Ken

wotayottie

Visit site
It looked from a quick glance as if the new marina has access from outside the Tawe barrage. If so, its worth a serious look because as you will find out soon enough, summer weekend access through the barrage is a pain not helped by the preference given to the local fish tripping boats.

graham

Visit site
Last time I used Swansea as a staging post on the way b ack from Milford Haven I arrived too late for the Tawe lock so stayed on a s,mall pontoon just outside the locks.It dried too soft mud if I remember right. Bit peed off at the time but slept well and saved a nights marina fee.