Strange things on maps and satellite images

KeithMD

Visit site
Thanks to another topic here, I was just having a look at the Google map and satellite images of the Tamar, up river from Saltash.
Here: Google Maps

It was just to remind myself of some of the names of some of the more obscure places to moor a boat between Saltash and Morwellham, but because of not having my charts close at hand, As I scrolled south back past the Tamar Bridges, I had the nagging feeling something was strange about the Saltash images. It took a while for it to dawn on me. North and south of the Tamar Bridges , all the moorings, and all their boats, have disappeared! So have all the barges and buoys between Devonport and the Tamar Bridges. Very strange!

My first thought was perhaps it was a military obsfucation thing, done by Google because of HM RN Devonport. But that makes no sense, because loads of big RN ships are still clearly visible, including the subs.

Plus, they are still visible on the Bing Maps satellite images.
Bing Karten

Can anyone think of any reasons?

Obi

Visit site
A lot of google satellite/world areas have had the cars removed as well. I was looking somewhere the other day and no cars anywhere.

There are some really strange "artefacts" in the deep blue water as well, but usually just products of the digital process.

sarabande

Visit site
Google works closely with national governments on obscuring items related to critical national infrastructure. Ahem.

I'm sure you are aware of some interesting "assets" lurking around Saltash. :)

KeithMD

Visit site
Google works closely with national governments on obscuring items related to critical national infrastructure. Ahem.
I'm sure you are aware of some interesting "assets" lurking around Saltash. :)

Perhaps you didn't notice my previous comment?
My first thought was perhaps it was a military obsfucation thing, done by Google because of HM RN Devonport. But that makes no sense, because loads of big RN ships are still clearly visible, including the subs.

B27

Visit site
Google maps satellite images are stitched together from several photographs.
So boats on swinging moorings tend to get filtered out as moving objects.

For a while, my mate's boat on a mooring was visible, but it looked like it had sunk. The bow was clearly visible, but the middle was sort of hazy as if underwater and the stern was not seen!

Also when the process goes wrong, you used to get images of airliners at the bottom of the lake and similar odd artefacts.

A lot of Tamar moorings are not insurable 12 months of the year, so a Winter photo would have many fewer boats.

B27

Visit site
If you click the 'Globe View' option on and off, the copyright blurb for the imagery changes from 'Airbus, Landsat/Copernicus, Maxar Technologies' to 'Google, Airbus'.
Small writing, bottom right next to the scale, for google maps in Firefox.
The map credits in both modes seem to vary from place to place. In some places, clicking the Globe view on or off doesn't even change the moving cars.

Other threads that may be of interest