Straining rides

P4Paul

Visit site
Looks like everyone has made a start on this training lark with the exception of me.

Even Kerry went out for a sneaky training ride during the day today which means she is getting all competitive about it....

Needless to say I have risen to the challenge and just let her tyres down! :) :) :)

fireball

Visit site
Well ... I have to admit a failure .... :(

I was going to ride to the pub last night ... but SWMBO wanted to come too, so we took the car (she's on soft drinks so she drove back) ...

fireball

Visit site
30 mins on SWMBO's static bike this evening. Sounds feeble, but felt quite hard work at the time.

ok - 20 minutes on the turbo this morning .... I hate turbos ... even with the radio on it's mind numbing and soooo hot ... I was going to do 30 minutes but I really couldn't ... so 20 minutes warming up then 10 minutes of intervals (1 min low cadence, 30 seconds high cadence - repeat) - need to make a few adjustments to my bike though.

Looking at the weather it'll be turbo tomorrow morning as well ... can't wait! ... :(

oGaryo

Visit site
I shall hopefully make it onto the roady bike on Sat or Sunday depending on the weather. Actually, I'm quite looking forward to it:)

Me too Paul, really looking forward to it myself which is a worry as I've not felt this urge to get fit for many a year, my body's shouting stop ya fool but the mind keeps making it do 'stuff' :) It's a man thing I reckon, got the new Garmin 810 GPS techy toy to play with :)

Had a rest day today having needed to drive to Bracknell to meet with HP but have walked a minimum of 7 miles each day Monday to Thursday and have shed 3lbs this week as a result, having no booze has helped in that regard too. My end up doing a dry Q1 rather than dry January. Planning on doing a 20 miler ride on Saturday and then 12 miles on Sunday. It'll then be back to the 7 miles a day walking to work next week. I've booked Thursday afternoon off to go to the London Boat Show which'll increase the miles walked that day to something closer to 10 miles by the time I get home, will be a massive temptation to have a pint when there but am going to resist.

I was going to do a walk around London this Sunday with Roy's good lady wife but (Roy) I have a couple of blisters on my tootsies form this weeks walking to work that need to bugga orf before I do anything like that, sorry buddy.

P4Paul

Visit site
I got talking to one of our occupational health professionals at work this morning and he spent a bit of time talking me through building up my fitness for this ride.

One of his suggestions was to leave the car at home so I have decided to take his advice and just bought a weeks bus ticket...

:) :) :)

rafiki_

Visit site
I got talking to one of our occupational health professionals at work this morning and he spent a bit of time talking me through building up my fitness for this ride.

One of his suggestions was to leave the car at home so I have decided to take his advice and just bought a weeks bus ticket...

:) :) :)
My commute is 80 miles. I would have to start this evening to get to work on Monday morning :D
I sometimes use my boat as a crash pad, so will have a long think about taking one of the bikes down in April, when I can see what I'm about to run over. That will be 11 miles each way, plus a shower at the office.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
My commute is 80 miles. I would have to start this evening to get to work on Monday morning :D
I sometimes use my boat as a crash pad, so will have a long think about taking one of the bikes down in April, when I can see what I'm about to run over. That will be 11 miles each way, plus a shower at the office.
I used to do a 60 mile round trip to work twice a week..... :D

P4Paul

Visit site
After a few stress filled months it looks like the planets in Virgo have finally lined up and now with the pressure lifted we hope to start our training regime properly this weekend.

But I doubt I shall be topping any time sheets in Strava having just looked in the mirror and seen what it is I have to work with... :)

oGaryo

Visit site
Love this Garmin Edge 810. It came with a Heart Rate Sensor and Cadence sensor that monitors the pedal speed and wheel speed. These are the stats it's given for the ride today:

Max speed: 31.29mph- weeeeeeeeeeeeee :)
Average speed 12.8 mph - slower than usual due to the wind
Average Heart Rate: 145 bpm
Max heart rate 163 bpm - good for me to know this, started to puff a bit over 160 bpm but felt comfortable in the 150's
Average cadence 68 rpm
Climbed 500 ft
Burned 680 calories

does a whole load of other stats. one thing that will be useful on the day of our ride is that I can broadcast where we are along the route live to Facebook, email addresses, folk mobiles, twitter etc... we could post a link on the forum for folk to see how we're getting on. this is what they will see when they click the link: http://livetrack.garmin.com/session...452b4c/token/FB2469DA3E504A8296C65E7ACE25B36D Obviously the ride is finished now but at the time they will have seen a marker along the route

rafiki_

Visit site
Yes, all interesting stuff Gary. I would think that ave heart rate should be mid 130's, and I expext you'll get down there with a bit more time in the saddle. Is your saddle any more comfortable? I will venture out on my road bike tomorrow, assuming it is not blowing a gale. Have some new gell undershorts to test out too.

oGaryo

Visit site
Yes, all interesting stuff Gary. I would think that ave heart rate should be mid 130's, and I expext you'll get down there with a bit more time in the saddle. Is your saddle any more comfortable? I will venture out on my road bike tomorrow, assuming it is not blowing a gale. Have some new gell undershorts to test out too.

Another 20 miles today.... time for a well deserved beer............... if only I wasn't doing this dry January malarky :(

P4Paul

Visit site
Didn't get out on the bikes but have bought four new tyres and tubes plus two new helmets as everything is at least fifteen years old and I know how much I have deteriorated in the last fifteen years!

Having now exchanged contacts on the house we have today joined what will be our new local health club/spa and spent the afternoon in the gym gently running, cross training, cycling and relaxing. Heading to the bistro in a minute for a late lunch before ending the day in the pool area as it becomes a kid free zone in the evenings. :)

Feel like I have started taking it all a bit more seriously but still apprehensive about the 6th of June. Mind you, I could never live with Kerry crossing the line before me so I just need to grit my teeth and push through the discomfort. :)

z1ppy

Visit site
Not been out on the bike this weekend but have done three spin classes this week. (One this morning... Spin on a Sunday? Wtf?)

Kinda trying to get ski fit at the same time but generally I feel better for doing some exercise in January and not drinking the booze....