Straining rides

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Training paused at the moment due to a steaming cold. Also found a broken spoke in the back wheel so bike a bit crook too. Wheel to be fixed on Tuesday.

rafiki_

Visit site
I will venture out this morning, first ride for over a week. Cold and misty out there, so not looking forward to this. If too slippery, may opt to run rather than cycle :(

oGaryo

Visit site
Got out at around lunchtime today to do 14.5miles on the bike in 1hr 3mins up and down a few lumps so quite pleased with that considering I froze me nuts off. Details uploaded to Strava.

Got to sort out this saddle though, changed it from the original Boardman seat as that was rock hard to a Velo Touring Seat but am now getting pain on the inside of the thighs in my crotch area. It either needs adjusting (the seat, not me crotch) or I need to get a better seat.

P4Paul

Visit site
Battled my way to the back of the shed to see if I could find our bikes amongst the cans of paint now gone hard and kids toys long forgotten.

Retrieved two very sorry looking bikes and spent of couple of enjoyable hours cleaning them while reminiscing with Kerry some of our more intrepid rides we had undertaken over the years. Seems they all involved pubs, too much beer and none longer than 20 odd miles in a day!

Anyway, we now have two clean but old bikes and having run out of milk due to the amount of coffee drunk while cleaning, we decided to take the bikes for their first outing in quite a while to the local Tesco's.

Glad to report everything went well and a coffee crisis has been averted.

Logged the ride on Strava as a baseline for any further dairy related issues requiring an emergency commute to Tesco's.

oGaryo

Visit site
Battled my way to the back of the shed to see if I could find our bikes amongst the cans of paint now gone hard and kids toys long forgotten.

Retrieved two very sorry looking bikes and spent of couple of enjoyable hours cleaning them while reminiscing with Kerry some of our more intrepid rides we had undertaken over the years. Seems they all involved pubs, too much beer and none longer than 20 odd miles in a day!

Anyway, we now have two clean but old bikes and having run out of milk due to the amount of coffee drunk while cleaning, we decided to take the bikes for their first outing in quite a while to the local Tesco's.

Glad to report everything went well and a coffee crisis has been averted.

Logged the ride on Strava as a baseline for any further dairy related issues requiring an emergency commute to Tesco's.

Love it Paul and Kerry.. almost as good as avoiding dairy crisis was a neat little experience I had today, a large Bird Of Prey swooped down as I road along a country road and flew past me at hedge height no more that 4ft from my left hand side then landed on a branch above to watch me peddle by, bloody impressive I have to say :encouragement: I thought the birds fly past was quite good too ;)

rafiki_

Visit site
V
Got out at around lunchtime today to do 14.5miles on the bike in 1hr 3mins up and down a few lumps so quite pleased with that considering I froze me nuts off. Details uploaded to Strava.

Got to sort out this saddle though, changed it from the original Boardman seat as that was rock hard to a Velo Touring Seat but am now getting pain on the inside of the thighs in my crotch area. It either needs adjusting (the seat, not me crotch) or I need to get a better seat.

Impressive Gary, well done. I ran this morning, after my risk assessment, I deemed it too foggy and slippery to ride, so ran instead. First run for a month, and very hard work.
You are better with a narrower saddle Gary, if too wide,, it is not good for your posture. Narrow saddles are right, but need some getting used to. Do you wear padded shorts? These make quite a difference if they fit ok. I have some new ones on order from Amazon.

oGaryo

Visit site
Do you wear padded shorts? These make quite a difference if they fit ok. I have some new ones on order from Amazon.

I do Paul and as you say they help.. lots of negatives online about the hardness of the Boardman standard fit seat and most change them.. looks like I need to change for a narrow yet softer seat then

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
I do Paul and as you say they help.. lots of negatives online about the hardness of the Boardman standard fit seat and most change them.. looks like I need to change for a narrow yet softer seat then

Before you go and lay out for a new saddle, try altering the angle and position slightly... if your inner thighs are getting sore, move it forwards a couple of centimetres and put the nose down a fraction... also, make sure your feet are square on the pedals, and that you aren't sticking your knees right out when peddaling... and finally, check your saddle height isn't too high, to make sure that your hips aren't rocking from side to side as you ride, as this exacerbates sore inner thighs, and isn't good technique, plus is bad for several muscle groups.

Last edited:

rafiki_

Visit site
Before you go and lay out for a new saddle, try altering the angle and position slightly... if your inner thighs are getting sore, move it forwards a couple of centimetres and put the nose down a fraction... also, make sure your feet are square on the pedals, and that you aren't sticking your knees right out when peddaling... and finally, check your saddle height isn't too high, to make sure that your hips aren't rocking from side to side as you ride, as this exacerbates sore inner thighs, and isn't good technique, plus is bad for several muscle groups.
Good advice. I used to ride with my saddle too high, and it doesn't help. My saddle fits best when very slightly nose up, but we are all different.

fireball

Visit site
Hard Hilly 56 miles today ... I'm shot now though ;) apparently it's going to be further and faster next weekend. SWMBO did over 20 .... ;)

oGaryo

Visit site
guys. I'll have to check but I think I have my saddle position so that my thigh is parallel to the pedal crank when the crank is horizontal to the road. my knee is directly over the peddle at that point and my knee is above my ankle. I have my seat height adjusted so that my leg is fully extended when my heel is on the pedal at its lowest point. I'll do some reading up to check if I have these adjustments correct and alter if necessary. I am going back to the old saddle for now and will adjust it as per Paul's setup as I was finding myself sliding down the seat when cycling. it'll do better than this touring seat I think until I can get something better. I also think I may need to tweak the cleats to ensure my feet are positioned correctly. my right foot is find but am finding my left foot tingles after a ride which suggest I don't have the angle of that foot set correctly. Keep the advice coming, it's helping :encouragement:

Phoenix of Hamble

guys. I'll have to check but I think I have my saddle position so that my thigh is parallel to the pedal crank when the crank is horizontal to the road. my knee is directly over the peddle at that point and my knee is above my ankle. I have my seat height adjusted so that my leg is fully extended when my heel is on the pedal at its lowest point. I'll do some reading up to check if I have these adjustments correct and alter if necessary. I am going back to the old saddle for now and will adjust it as per Paul's setup as I was finding myself sliding down the seat when cycling. it'll do better than this touring seat I think until I can get something better. I also think I may need to tweak the cleats to ensure my feet are positioned correctly. my right foot is find but am finding my left foot tingles after a ride which suggest I don't have the angle of that foot set correctly. Keep the advice coming, it's helping :encouragement:
That's a good starting point Gary, but everyone's idea position is unique so just keep playing with it until you find your own happy settings. On the subject of your cleats, the main consideration is to make sure that your knees and ankles are operating in the vertical plane, and not pushing in or out as you rotate as this is what causes knee problems, particularly Illiotibial Band (ITB).... my best advice for relatively inexperienced cyclists is to make sure that you are using cleats with lots of 'float', or in plain english, movement without unclipping, as this will aid your action without causing harm.... if your foot is tingling, this would imply that you don't have either the cleat in quite the right place yet... also worth practicing your foot motion when pedalling... its very easy to turn the whole rotation with your toes pointing downwards, rather than flat at best, or preferably, even with your heel slightly lowered at the bottom of the stroke, and this can cause tingling feet... this can be caused by technique, or can be caused by having the cleat too far forward on your shoes (not back, its a bit counterintuitive!)... also, and don't laugh..... are your legs the same length?..... over half the populations's aren't!.... that problem can be solved by using spacers under the cleat!

Last edited:

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
That's a good starting point Gary, but everyone's idea position is unique so just keep playing with it until you find your own happy settings. On the subject of your cleats, the main consideration is to make sure that your knees and ankles are operating in the vertical plane, and not pushing in or out as you rotate as this is what causes knee problems, particularly Illiotibial Band (ITB).... my best advice for relatively inexperienced cyclists is to make sure that you are using cleats with lots of 'float', or in plain english, movement without unclipping, as this will aid your action without causing harm.... if your foot is tingling, this would imply that you don't have either the cleat in quite the right place yet... also worth practicing your foot motion when pedalling... its very easy to turn the whole rotation with your toes pointing downwards, rather than flat at best, or preferably, even with your heel slightly lowered at the bottom of the stroke, and this can cause tingling feet... this can be caused by technique, or can be caused by having the cleat too far forward on your shoes (not back, its a bit counterintuitive!)... also, and don't laugh..... are your legs the same length?..... over half the populations's aren't!.... that problem can be solved by using spacers under the cleat!

Once I've mastered this cycling lark sailing is going to be a doddle. I think the bike is about right but needs a bit more vang and a touch less cunningham. :rolleyes:

fireball

Visit site
wow, that's great going Andrew, something to aspire to :encouragement:

yer - but I'm still knackered today ... knee's particularly buggered ... I'm going to have to get some hard turbo sessions in to keep up in the club rides... :( Oh well ... it'll make me faster in the TTs :)

z1ppy

Visit site
What's the general feeling about spinning classes as training?

With dark mornings and early nights it's gonna be a couple of months before after work rides are possible.

Have always enjoyed (in a sick way) spin classes and I guess any time riding has to be of some benefit?

Phoenix of Hamble

What's the general feeling about spinning classes as training?

With dark mornings and early nights it's gonna be a couple of months before after work rides are possible.

Have always enjoyed (in a sick way) spin classes and I guess any time riding has to be of some benefit?
Very good training.... most cycling clubs run their own winter spin classes.... and seriously good cardio vascular exercise!

oGaryo

Visit site
another 7 miles today.... but on foot. 5 miles through London and 2 through Milton Keynes. planning on doing the same most work days if the weather behaves itself