Storing an outboard on board

G

I have decided to use an inflatable tender and inflate/deflate as the need arises on my Princess V40. But I do need to store the outboard and I think in the engine compartment would be best. Are there any purpose made brackets for this or has anyone any experience of this problem and its solution?

G

I don't of any brackets for this particular application (they are normally for hanging an outboard on a pulpit rail or on the transom) but you might be able to adapt one of these depending on where you want it to go.

I lay mine down in the lazarette (it's a 4hp four stroke Yamaha) and wedge it in place with spare fenders/warps.

G

Store in the engine dept, if there is space... Why not? You may have more or less space depending on if V40 has the larger engine option on V drives or if you the outdrive option.

If your outboard is of the smaller type with an integrale fuel tank, you want to ensure its empty before you store it in the engine dept.

Sight the space for the outboard and get a purpose built stainless bracket fabricated, ensureing you have good fixing points for it. You don'y want it all coming adrift and bouncing around in the engine dept when your cruising around 30 knts.

G

Thats the rub really, ensuring its empty. I dont really want to be messing around with fuel. I think the lazerete option is what I will do in the short term except that there is not much space once you have the tender in there.

G

Use a remote tank

I too have the Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke, which has a connector for a remote tank. I use a 5litre tank to run mine, which takes up next to no space, and you could have the integral tank left empty for engine room stowage.

G

Chris I do exactly the same with my Sealine but because it is the life raft I keep the pump permanently connected to the battery and highly accessible through one of the lockers. This also goes for the outboard which must also be highly accessible (I don't know the engine compartment of the V40 or how easy it is to retreave something while someone else is inflating the tender)We simply lay the motor on a carpet under the seats although a quick release bracket of some type would eliminate the risk of sliding. ........which takes us back to your question! David

G

Chris,

We have a V42 with sterndrives and store our outboard on the flat platform to the starboard side of the engines. It sits in two small teak blocks and is strapped tightly using web straps through D-rings which we had screwed into the GRP platform. It is very secure. The rolled up deflated tender is strapped to the back of the starboard fuel tank.

G

Thanks for all the really helpfull advice.

simon, could you give me a bit more detail about how you secured the fixings. Screwed In? I am always worried water will come in!!!