stolen or not? how to buy a legitimate RIB?

yourmomm

Visit site
hi-i am thinking of buying a RIB on ebay with a larger outboard (40hp+) for diving, etc. but it occurs to me that many are stolen every year. what paperwork should i ask to see before i buy one? or are there identification marks (like VIN numbers?) which i can check against a national database to see whether its legit or not? or which organisation could i approach? the last thing i want is to buy one at great expense and then lose it due to a dodgy history...

on a related note, what precautions can i take to prevent my RIB from becoming one of the statistics after i have bought one? it will be stored in the water in an open-access mooring with no security to speak of

many thanks

ryan

StolenBoats

www.stolenboats.org.uk
Find our the boat's Hull Identification Number HIN and use this to check against the database of stolen boats at StolenBoats.org.uk.

It's also possible to do the same with the serial number of the outboard engine.

In addition, ask the seller some general questions about the boat, where he used it etc. A genuine owner will only be too happy to talk, but if the seller has no background information or seems ignorant of boats in general, be extremely suspicious.