Stellas

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi,

On a thread about cruising to Zeeland, I happened to remark that my first vist there wss in a 26 ft. Stella, which prompted Daydream Believer to ask "which Stella?". Majot thread drift ensued as we reminisced about these wonderful products of Kim Holman's drawing board, so guilt has prompted me to start this new thread.

I was surprised by DD's experience of Tucker Brown trying to hang on to the right to build Stellas, they probably built more than any other yard, but were unable to meet demand in the early 1960s so many other yards were building. A glance at the Sttella Class Association website reveals that the first to be built by another yard was no. 6, Persephone, built by Petticrows in 1960 so just a year after La Vie en Rose. Other builders of surviving Stellas in the UK are Dan Webb & Feasey, Rowhedge Iron Works, William Wyatt, Cardnells, Alan Feltham, Dickies of Tarbert and Wright & Sons. Another 20 odd boats were built in Australia.

I never heard the outboard power idea before and I must say the crude mounting on the beam sounds most unlike the Kim I knew - he had a great feel for beauty. Apart from La Vie en Rose, the only other Stella built in 1959 was Kim's own Star Shell, built by Tucker Brown, and she had a Stuart Turner inboard. As a 12 year old, I actually crawled all over La Vie en Rose on Tucker Brown's stand at the 1960 Earls Court Boat Show, but recall nothing of her machinery - l guess it was the then ubiquitous Stuart Turner 4.

From what I recall of the early alternator on Mira's Stuart Turner it was around 15 or 20 Amps, so would have consumed about 300 Watts of the engine's rated 3 kW at full rpm, nothing like the alternators you see on today's cars and boats. The alternator itself produced pure AC as it had no on board diodes, rectification being provided by a remote metal oxide rectifier. At some stage, I recall the rectifier failing so I replaced it with the latest product from Lucas, 4 silicon diodes mounted on a heat sink and wired in a bridge format.The heat sink never got even warm, showing the high efficiency of this arrangement.

Peter.

tillergirl

Visit site
I remember ages ago there was Vanella - I think she was a Tucker Brown but that was only from a comment back in the 1980's. Vanella was then based in Collier's Reach, River Blackwater. She was in good condition but one winter then refastened her to reduce the leaks which by then were rather too persistent.

DanTribe

Visit site
My Stella Starfox nr 32 was built by Rowhedge Ironworks, I felt that the internal joinery never quite had the finesse of Tucker Brown boats. An old shipwright friend remembered taking the motorboat from Burnham to Rowhedge and towing several back to be finshed at Burnham. I think he said hulls only so probably the rigs were added at Burnham.
Regarding side mounted outboards, Chris Petrie had that arrangement on the beautiful Stiletto but seldom used it as she sailed so well.
on a trip to Holland in 97 I was surprised how many people recognised Stellas. Several said they had done Burnham Week, one even asked if Percy Ellam still ran the Star. [He would have been over 100!]

Daydream believer

Visit site
Yachting & boating weekly magazine feb 2 1967 gave a great review of the Stella, including an interview with Dickie Bird. It mentions the outboard issue but over the stern. I am not sure which article suggested it was thought possible to put it on the side.
My copy of the magazine is now very delicate.
My Stella had to go when I left the family firm & I kept the picture to remind me why I was working .But ever since the picture of her leading the fleet up the Crouch one Burnham week has dominated our lounge.
Just to remind me why I was going to work every morning.
When I rebuilt No 103, I soon realised how much she bruised me. But boat for boat, in a way, she sailed better -relatively, because of the size difference- than my current Hanse

PeterWright

Visit site
They turn up everywhere
I saw this one in Veere with a metal mast. Looked very smart
View attachment 172067
Thanks for posting that, I can't quite make out her name on the photo, do you have a record of it, please?

The metal mast looks "wrong" to me, although I know several Stellas acquired them over the years. Now they are returning to popularity as mini classic yachts, some are benefiting from new Collars spars. A Folkboat mast on Collars website is priced at over £2500, presumably + vat, so the prices are not so mini:

Mast & Spar Price List | Collars | Oxfordshire UK

Peter.

Last edited:

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi TG,

Thanks also for those two - I have to say, I would count W. Mersea as the second spiritual home of the Stella. Being Kim's home, it was also the first home of Stella no. 2, Star Shell, which Tucker Brown built for Kim. Was the video actually shot from Tillergirl before you sold her?

Although Burnham has to be the first spititual home of the Stella, I've not seen one there since Torrington (no. 80, Rowhedge Iron Works, 1960) disappeared from the graveyard area of BYH hardstanding sometime in the past year. In my view she was probably too far gone for recovery

Star Shell has recently returned from Cornwall to the East Coast at Levington, where she will get a good dose of the TLC she deserves.

Peter.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Thanks for posting that, I can't quite make out her name on the photo, do you have a record of it, please?

The metal mast looks "wrong" to me, although I know several Stellas acquired them over the years.
The boat's name is Kingfisher. Comes out clearer on my original photo but I had to reduce pixels for the forum.
I felt that the mast looked good. But to each his own re opinion.

tillergirl

Visit site
Yes, that's was taken from Tiller Girl. With a chum we had spent a couple of hours in very light winds up to Radio Caroline and back. Oh I do miss her.......😞

MikeBz

Visit site
… A Folkboat mast on Collars website is priced at over £2500, presumably + vat, so the prices are not so mini

It’s surprising - to me at least - how relative costs of items have changed over the years. I have a complete itemised invoice from when our current craft was built for her first owner in 1993. The refrigeration unit was just short of £2k back then. 2.5k + VAT in today’s money on a hand built wooden spar looks like incomparable value by, er, comparison. On the other hand in 1993 50 gallons of diesel on the invoice was £50!

Frayed Knot

Visit site
This all brings back memories - some good, some less so 😂
Depending on the conditions I can’t think of a boat I’d like to be sailing more - or less!
Back in the eighties/nineties we owned no. 73, Maria Isabel on the Crouch but were purely cruisers.
We once had a hard sail from Paglesham to Ijmuiden, straining some fastenings, followed by three weeks in the Ijselmeer and Zeeland during which it rained every day except one with the boat leaking from above and below.
Girlfriend then got the ferry home & two weeks later I thrashed down to Ostend, single handed, straining her even more, then waited for a flat calm to motor back home, pumping every half hour.
We did it again the next year. Oh to be young again.

Last edited:

Frayed Knot

Visit site
I’ve just seen from the class association records that Maria Isabel has been broken up.
How sad! I wonder what happened - when we finally sold her she was one of the smartest, soundest afloat (re-fastened and with the deck leaks long since fixed) The new owner’s pre-purchase survey was excellent.

GunfleetSand

Visit site
We (royal, my Dad & wife) owned ‘Galaxy’ for a while in Walton. Stella website says she is in Burnham On Crouch and was a Petticrows build.

I remember going to sleep listening to the tide lapping against the hull sending me off into a deep sleep. Could do with that now instead of insomnia combined with snoring partner and cat.