Stelda, George & I

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
Re: Stelda, George & I

Well I thought so too, but when despatched I received a completely different book.

It seems the Amazon book numbers did not tally with the bookseller's or something like that - well that was the explanation. Personally I think book sellers list things they don't have to encourage more "hits" and presumably more orders, or they don't keep their lists with Amazon updated. This is the second time Amazon have let me down on more obscure second-hand books - so hence my reluctance to try ordering again as they are still processing my refund from the first two orders!

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl

Amazon refunded and I tried again to order from a third Amazon supplier and I got this:

You recently ordered Stelda, George and I [Hardcover] by Woolass, Peter
from us via Amazon.

However we note that Amazon has listed this title incorrectly. Our listing
refers to a different title altogether.

Therefore, I regret that we cannot complete this order and have arranged a
full refund to your Amazon account; you should receive confirmation of this
from Amazon shortly.

Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience caused.

--------------------------------------------------------

So I am still looking to borrow/buy from forumites if there is a free copy about?

chinita

Visit site

I have a copy you can borrow. I will not be able to send it until I return to UK on 10 Nov. PM with address if interested.

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
Re: Stelda, George & and I

A delightful read.

It’s a very readable account of a single-handed trans-Atlantic in a Vertue in the good old days of traditional navigation. No EPIRBS, no SAT phone or even a fridge! A surprisingly simple inventory too. You can just feel his delight in simple sailing and trust in a pedigree boat.

Interestingly “George” is the self-steering designed and made by Mr. Woolass himself – there is a section on its design for those wanting to save a few bob and make one. I was surprised to see how simple his one was to make (trim-tab type).

I was also surprised to see how much alcohol was consumed on this single-handed journey. It goes to show how times have changed, but he almost endorses its use. I felt myself quiety approving!

“Alcohol is a wonderful thing! It reduces wind by 2 on the Beaufort scale and diminished the size of waves by 50 per cent”

He almost runs out of grog before reaching Barbados and there is quite a few paragraphs dedicated to his concern at the diminishing stores. I liked the way “George” requires a tipple too, but being only a self-steerer, his ration is consumed by the skipper!

Another observation is that he does manage to sleep a few hours at a time - non of this 15 minute slot business. He seems completely comfortable with this.

All in all very rewarding read! Recommended to those single-handing anywhere as it really demonstrated how one can do it without all the modern paraphernalia.