Steel boat - best Solent yards for haulout?

Hambleton

Visit site
Hi - any thoughts on where to haul a 43 footer, both for onsite expertise and for grinding tolerance? I've been to Universal, Deacons lift not big enough. Had a quickie at the Elephant, and may go back, but would really like to find somewhere that regularly deals with steel, is up on preferred approaches and materials. Thanks!

Bobc

Visit site
Kingston Boatyard in Cowes could be ok. They do a lot with commercial steel vessels.

Or try Endeavour quay in Gosport, or Gosport Boat Yard.

Hambleton

Visit site
Thanks for both of those - I'd also thought Richardsons on IOW might be good but prefer to be on mainland for home access in a lengthy haulout - will look at Gosport

Hambleton

Visit site
Thanks Phil, Itchen's a good idea - I'll try them, Gosport was a "No".
For anyone else interested, I got this from a Midlands steel boat builder "Try the people at our paint suppliers Marine Ware and ask to speak to their Dean Fuller who knows his way around the South Coast. We had work done at Desty Marine at Port Hamble and they are worth a try."

PhillM

Visit site
Thanks Phil, Itchen's a good idea - I'll try them, Gosport was a "No".
For anyone else interested, I got this from a Midlands steel boat builder "Try the people at our paint suppliers Marine Ware and ask to speak to their Dean Fuller who knows his way around the South Coast. We had work done at Desty Marine at Port Hamble and they are worth a try."

Yeah Dean is a good bloke, knows his varnish like nobody else I know.

ripvan1

Visit site
Northney marina - I had similar size steely ashore there for shotblasting/welding/cutting and grinding - had to have it scaffolded and covered though.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Very impressed by Shamrock Quay. Big travel lift, solid yard surface (gravel), water and power, loads of onsite services and good food ranging from cafe to fine dining.