Statement of Intent!

Ceirwan

Visit site
Hey guys!

Posting here my 'Statement of Intent' for the JC2010. (Now I can't back down :D)
Even since reading about it back in 2007 I thought I would like to do it, and I've finally decided to stop making excuses of why I can't do it and to just do it!

Now I am by no means confident I can get the boat done in time, as I am already in the middle of a major refit, at least this allows me to make any changes I desire now rather than retrospectively.
So I shall try as hard as I can to get the boat ready, and hopefully I shall be there on the start line May 24th.

To keep my motivation (and in case anyone's interested) I shall be posting here of the modifications and work on the boat and some of the planning, I think it would be great if we could all keep each other up to date with where we are at, might pick up some ideas.

The tool for the job in this case is an Eygthene 24 which is a Ron Holland designed Quarter Tonner, which while very wet and exposed on deck, has a 55% ballast ratio and are well known for being a stiff boat that's good 'uphill' which should be useful as I doubt I shall be heading far enough south to pick up favourable winds.
http://www.eygthene24.com/

The list of modifications is still being created but any suggestions people have is welcome! :)

The plan so far (much simplified):
- Complete refit
- Shakedown trip, two up in case of problems
- 2nd Shakedown 500 miles solo passage
If all goes well, get the boat down to Plymouth for final preparations, provisioning, final checks etc. I'm sure It won't be that easy!
I haven't been that enthusiastic about something for a long time!

Ceirwan

Visit site
Mine was terrible when I bought her, chap wanted 3k, I got her for 2! :)
Although in retrospect it would have been cheaper to buy one in better condition and do minor work on that!

I've done a fair old whack already, installed in inboard to replace the transom outboard (myself, can't afford yard work), you purists may shudder but how else will I power my iPod??

As I said, its going to be a real race getting the boat ready for the start AND getting sea trials in... If I make it its my birthday on the 22nd of May so I may have a sore head!

jesterchallenger

Visit site
Statement of intent

There are actually 4 challenges you have to complete - the first is getting permission from the wife/partner/significant other/boss etc; the second is telling everyone; the third is actually getting yourself and the boat to the start line; and the fourth is attempting to get to Newport. I would assume you have achieved the first, and you've now done the second so you're already halfway there! Having completed the JAC08, personally I think the first and third were the hardest parts and the fourth, the actual Challenge, the easiest. Do bear in mind though, that your boat will never be fully ready - there's always something that needs to done/improved/upgraded/altered. That's why it's good to have a deadline like May 23rd, otherwise you'd never get round to leaving. Best of luck and I'll happily buy you a beer on the 22nd in Plymouth! Meanwhile, back to the jobs list - why does it seem to be getting longer every day.......

Ceirwan

Visit site
Haha, so true!
I have no significant other so that's easy! (Well I'm only 22, don't want to get tied down just yet!)
I imagine the boss will find out when he rings to see why I aren't at work! :D

I've told the important people... Now its just the boat and doing the bugger!