Start of season diesel price update.

harvey38

Visit site
Has anybody ever been checked for using red at basic cost?
I assume by "basic cost", you mean paying the lowest possible VAT rate, ie 100% usage for heating only, 5% VAT I think? That would depend if the supplier is audited by HMRC, it would pretty obvious if someone was purchasing fuel for heating only throughout the year, they would expect a visit quite quickly.

WoodyP

Visit site
I assume by "basic cost", you mean paying the lowest possible VAT rate, ie 100% usage for heating only, 5% VAT I think? That would depend if the supplier is audited by HMRC, it would pretty obvious if someone was purchasing fuel for heating only throughout the year, they would expect a visit quite quickly.
I use red diesel for agricultural use. I use white for the boat. There's a significant cost difference but being a law abiding sort take it on the chin, as the reality is l don't use much fuel in a sailing boat. If I was a wealthy farmer with ready access to red diesel and a gas guzzling motor boat, what are the chances of being done?

Momac

Visit site
I heard a local marina has taken a fresh delivery of red and its £1.15 at the 60/40 duty split.

Momac

Visit site
The source that was £1.15 earlier in the year now £1.20 at 60/40 split.
The price has risen at road fuel stations also .

The government must be happy with the VAT they are receiving. We have to pay for covid and other costs somehow.

luke collins

Visit site
We buy a fair bit of road fuel and have had notifications of a 4p rise next week so expect this to follow at the marinas in the next few weeks when the tanks are refilled.

Boat2016

Visit site
As soon as prices drop so does production, it’s then easy to charge more again so prices are very easily controlled and the government are happy with that as they don’t want us to use diesel and they are keen to keep prices high to collect more in tax.