Standing rigging replacement in Plymouth

laika

Visit site
when I bought my boat in 2010 I tried to engage multiple riggers in Plymouth including hemisphere. Allspars were the only ones who showed up. Since then they have been my riggers of choice in Plymouth and more recently in swanwick too. They’re not the cheapest per hour but the quality and efficiency of work has never disappointed

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Are Hemisphere more competitive?
I’ve no experience of Hemisphere. The riggers we used 18 or more years ago appear to have gone out of business. To put it into context Andy who founded Allspars was just starting out in those days.

My comments about Allspars not being the cheapest are based on several quotes we’ve had from them in the last few years comparing their prices with other Riggers.

I’m wondering why the OP hasn’t considered using Jimmy Green.

Petrel04

Visit site
I intend to replace the standing rigging on my Sadler 32 before next season. I’m happy to trust Allspars Plymouth but any other recommendations?
Hi , I had my Navtec hydraulic back stay tensioner serviced by them and they were very helpful and efficient

Foster

Visit site
Hey, Newbie to the form here. Ive done a lot of rigging over the years as my job (boatbuilder) my shout would be Allspars, super knowledgeable and helpful guys. I've had dealings with Hemisphere too, maybe 7 years back or so, competent guys for sure but I would personally go Allspars due to the service I have received over many years from them.

eddystone

Visit site
Fair point. I was assuming OP is like me. Reluctant to pay someone to do what I can do for free.
Well at 72 with dodgy knees and slightly suspect balance which means I’m not likely to climb the mast added to dubious DIY skills and lack of access to a swaging machine I’m willing if not happy to pay someone else to do it.

Tranona

Visit site
Well at 72 with dodgy knees and slightly suspect balance which means I’m not likely to climb the mast added to dubious DIY skills and lack of access to a swaging machine I’m willing if not happy to pay someone else to do it.
There is a halfway house of having the mast down then taking the old wires to the rigger (or Jimmy Green) and having exact replicas made for you to fit.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
There is a halfway house of having the mast down then taking the old wires to the rigger (or Jimmy Green) and having exact replicas made for you to fit.
It works for me and many others. Technically I could step and unstep my own mast, but then again the boatyard does it quickly and safely for a modest amount. Replacing rigging made up by a rigger is a doddle though. Even fitting a roller furler is straightforward, they all come with instructions after all.