Standard horizon CP180i and AIS

Chris.mcc240

Visit site
I have the following set up on my centaur.
A standard horizon CP180i with internal GPS linked to a standard horizon radio with DSC not sure of the model “although it’s new ish” without being on my boat but it doesn’t have an AIS display. This I have linked up to a Simrad TP22 tiller pilot and it works well so I must have connected it all up correctly.
As I sail single handed sometimes I have decided I would like an AIS display. I came to this conclusion last year off the east coast in the dark surrounded by a dozen different ships.
What do I need and can anyone recommend a supplier?
I have the following considerations
Is it best to have the display on my chart plotter or will this be too much info on the 5 inch screen I find it a little cluttered sometimes now, but being in the cockpit its really handy.
Option 1 AIS engine
To do this I believe I need to use the signal from my VHF Ariel which is mast mounted but will need a splitter and an AIS engine, which will need to be compatible with my set up . Do I need anything else?
Option 2 AIS DSC radio
Change the radio for one with built in AIS. I assume I will only need one Ariel input so will save on the splitter and won’t need an AIS engine. I’ve seen a standard Horizon GX2100 but will this or any other unit overlay the AIS display on my CP180i chart plotter.
Has anyone else got a similar set up with the same chart plotter?

Option 2 seems cheaper and much simpler to connect with the option of being able to call ships direct. But is the NMEA wiring going to be the same as the radio I installed last year.
I’m sure I could ask a marine chandlers the above but I would like unbiased advice.

Martin_J

Visit site
Same plotter as you (at the wheel).. similar SH radio at the chart table.

I connected the NASA AIS engine and the chart plotter displays the AIS targets perfectly... I'd rather not have to try and find AIS targets on a smaller radio screen.

Regarding the aerial.. some use splitters.. I preferred a second aerial on the pushpit (that can function as a 3rd emergency aerial if ever needed).

BTW - SH radio and plotter.... It's great that when you hear a Mayday DSC alert.. the location of it pops up on the plotter with immediate course/distance displayed!

Chris.mcc240

Visit site
That seems like a good alternative..
I hadn’t really considered mounting a second Ariel on the push pit I just assumed it would be to low and rough weather might interfere with the reception. I take it you have not had any problems with this?
It would certainly seem to be a cheaper and simpler to install option.

wooslehunter

Visit site
I have a CP180i + NASA engine. I use a pushpit mounted antenna for AIS & the range is fine. Do I really care what's happening 20nm away....

The setup works OK but in my area but the AIS alarm is useless & sounds off almost continually. This is a function of the CP180i & not the NASA engine. I contacted SH & they had not real reply.

I'm in a crowded area with fast moving large vessels - cross channel cats.

The CP180 AIS alarm function the option of:

1. Ignoring everything outside a programmable radius.
2. Alarming when a target comes within the programmable CPA.
3. Alarming when a target's TCPA is less than a programmable time.

So, in my area, if I want to be safe, I have to set the radius in 1 at a few miles. A cross channel cat does 30+knts. So it covers 5nm in 10 mins. I set the CPA alarm at 0.5nm & the TCPA at 15mins. Anything inside 5nm which breachs either of the CPA & TCPA limits sets off the alarm. So, if CPA is 0.1nm but doesn't happen for an hour I don't care but the alarm will sound. Also, if TCPA is less than 15min but CPA is 2nm, again I don't care, but the alarm sounds.

So, in my crowded area the alarm sounds continually & is useless unless I set the ignore radius down & then I miss the fast cats until they are very close.

The MK1 eyeball is still the primary anti-collision aid.

AIS is useful at determining CPA though so course corrections are easier.

What I really need is to sound the alarm when both CPA & TCPA are breached. That way it is useable.

Apart from that problem, it works fine.

V1701

Visit site
Yes another here with CP180i, NASA AIS engine and pushpit mounted aerial for the AIS. The pushpit mounted AIS aerial quickly & easily can also serve as an emergency aerial for the main VHF...

JeffRobbins

Visit site
WatchMate ?

Have you considered one of Vesper Marine's WatchMate AIS displays? It will interface with the NASA and take the clutter off the small plotter.

FYI: I work for Vesper Marine, so if you have any questions let me know

Jeff

stevensuf

nicnsteve.blogspot.com
i have the standard horizon 2100 connected to my plotter for ais and dsc and the gps output of the plotter back to the radio, works a treat,you only need one antenna, can dsc direct from the plotter, i would recommend this route for cost and time. It works a treat!