Stainless steel diesel fuel tanks?

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Mine is 51 years old and doing fine. I honestly think Leo should name the manufacturer because he has always gone high end on all his choices so I’m wondering if it is Tek-tanks.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Mine is 51 years old and doing fine. I honestly think Leo should name the manufacturer because he has always gone high end on all his choices so I’m wondering if it is Tek-tanks.

I don think they look anything like Tek-tanks. If you read the Tech-tank bespoke tank guide they don't use sealant and they use an interlocking baffle plate system that interlocks with the top panel to stop it lifting when under pressure. The tanks on Tallyho bulged under 3psi and had excessive sealant used. The Tech-tank features dont look similar to the tank in the video.

About the Build | Tek-Tanks
https://tektanks.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Custom-tanks-Design-Guide.pdf

tillergirl

Visit site
I thought the seams that Leo showed were appalling. I think he was very kind to them. Tiller Girl has stainless water and diesel tanks and survived without any trouble for 30 years in my ownership and more before that. I had a holding tank from Tek Tanks which I thought was absolutely excellent. I would certainly consider both options should I need a new tank.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Stainless steel is an excellent material for tanks but will fail at welds if it's not done properly and unsuitable installation can expose it to salt water and low oxygen conditions conducive to corrosion, e.g. plonking tanks onto a plywood shelf or mounting with pads of absorbent material.

See posts #15 and #17.

Perhaps soldering with good size overlapping seams might be a better way of joining S/S for fuel tanks. There would be little corrosion caused by excess heat and added impurities.

Soft soldered tinplate tanks and containers have been used in thousands-perhaps millions- of applications since the steam age. Early 'Garden Gate' Manx Nortons had scalloped edges to the fuel and oil tanks to give a larger join area.

It is not new technology, but I expect the skills to do it are no longer in the workplace.

Soldering large items with a gas torch, bakers fluid or borax flux and a stick of Tinmans Solder is a black art, not a science.

Refueler

Visit site
There are two principal ways of overcoming this:
1. Use the low carbon versions of the steel, 304L or 316L
2. Add preferential carbide formers to the filler rod, niobium for instance, with minimal carbon.
Rods for this duty are to 346 specification.

There is a third method that hasn't been mentioned yet.
Soft soldering .
Make a tank with ample overlaps on internal baffles and end pieces.
Use a modern flux and solder combination and you will have a strong corrosion free joint.
I did this when I made a large eutectic plate years ago and was surprised at how easy and strong it was.
The expansion and contraction that it was subjected to would be far greater than the static and sloshing in a fuel tank.

Yes, I know that a fuel tank will be subjected to heavy loading. That is why I suggest large flange overlaps.

gary

I've heard of Hard Soldering a tank .... but never soft ??

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
I've had 2 boat with SS fuel tanks.
Both leaked at the corner seam weld, in the must inaccessible place in the boat.
However, SS is more than adequate for a fuel tank, it's the inability of the manufacturer's to weld to a good weld procedure. This isn't rocket science, it down to designing the weld, prep', profile pre-heat (if required), filler rod, using the correct welding process and training the operator. If you use a well designed weld procedure it shouldn't leak.
My current boat has a rotational mounded tank, now 15 years old. No problems so far, except re-sealing the inspection hatch, which proved to be quite difficult.

Refueler

Visit site
You have no idea what you are talking about. I’ve not slandered anyone. You probably need some English lessons.

Given that you guys seem to want to blather on about this ....

BT - your post earlier 'implies' Tek Tanks ..... anyone of less knowledge of them - may be adversely affected by your naming .... whether intended or not.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I suppose it must be a headroom problem in TallyHo,notptting fuel tanks in bilge as in photos shown seem the best idea for weight and access

I think so, too. “Tally Ho!” is a big boat, but I recall that she carried and no doubt will carry a lot of inside ballast.

Attachments

• A8A68433-4914-4CE7-B334-0FA82C712801.jpeg
    A8A68433-4914-4CE7-B334-0FA82C712801.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 22
  • 2084848C-C3A6-44C9-8179-6F5034CACF04.jpeg
    2084848C-C3A6-44C9-8179-6F5034CACF04.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 22