ST60+ wind over-reading

CFarr

Me: Well inland. Boat: Bellanoch, Crinan Canal
Visit site
I've searched online for a few hours and found faults explained with these displays and sensors but none that result in the display showing higher readings than it should.
Anyone any ideas if this will be masthead sensor or display meter and if it will be repairable or not?

Thanks

Last edited:

FWB

N/A
Visit site
So you think it will be the transducer, not the display or wiring then?

Well it could be. Perhaps hudson will let you try it and return if not the problem. I've had problems with ST60 wind before and it was nearly always the transducer, apart from one time when the wiring needed replacing.
If it turns out to be the instrument head then be wary of the i60 replacement. I don't know if Raymarine have solved the problem of the needle sticking in the sun. I gave up after returning 2 i60 units and went for the i70 MFD which is great but it uses Seatalk ng. I got around this by having a usable ST60 display to feed the signal to the i70. I upgraded myST60+ instruments to i50s &i60 only to have problems with the i60 wind. Fortunately the ST60 instrument was ok so I could use that to drive the i70.

Last edited:

Minchsailor

Visit site
I took my apart this winter to fit a new pcb (wind direction was failing). The speed is simply a square wave of 0 to ~3V, two pulses 1:1 per rotation. Connect a 9v battery (PP3?) and slowly turn the anemometer. Connect a voltmeter across the anemometer output and you can see the voltage changing. A new pcb is about a £100 from Hudson and takes a few minutes to change.

john_q

Visit site
If it is over reading you may have the US model as the wind strength in squalls is always seems to be higher when reported by a US Vessel than our observations!!!!!!

Ripster

Visit site
I had issues with my ST60+ end of last season. After doing the prescribed voltage checks at the back of the instrument with everything still in place, mine was a masthead or cable issue. I was getting both wrong direction and strengths - all over the place. Took the whole masthead unit to Raym for testing as a first step and it was the wiring in the masthead unit that had failed. Standard repair/replace price from Raym (£180 I think). Plugged it all back in and hey presto - all working again.