SSR registry

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Ok here a question guys .
What stop anyone making up his / her own registry documents in what format they want , as long as hi uses the SSR number he was give .

I just seen one with not only the normal details but also the tons , MMSI, call sign , engine HP , and a photo of the boat .
I was assured it was illegal has in the Uk a yacht does not need to be registry .
Interested in your views .

GrahamM376

Visit site
Ok here a question guys .
What stop anyone making up his / her own registry documents in what format they want , as long as hi uses the SSR number he was give .

I just seen one with not only the normal details but also the tons , MMSI, call sign , engine HP , and a photo of the boat .
I was assured it was illegal has in the Uk a yacht does not need to be registry .
Interested in your views .

That thinking is a bit contradictory. OK so a UK boat doesn't have to be registered but, once it is, the official document is the only valid one and I'm sure there will be something in the rules/law to outlaw falsifying documents.

macd

Visit site
Hi Vic.
My first reaction is that it's perfectly lawful to create, print, laminate or whatever anything you choose....providing it doesn't masquerade as, nor do you present it as, something it isn't.

I mean, there's nothing to stop you producing a form describing you as the president of the International Anti-Drinking Alliance. Except that no-one would believe it ;)

Tranona

Visit site
While it is not a requirement to register a boat if it stays in UK waters, it is a requirement to have evidence that the boat is a UK ship if it visits another state. The only acceptable evidence of this is an official certificate of registration.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi Vic.
My first reaction is that it's perfectly lawful to create, print, laminate or whatever anything you choose....providing it doesn't masquerade as, nor do you present it as, something it isn't.

I mean, there's nothing to stop you producing a form describing you as the president of the International Anti-Drinking Alliance. Except that no-one would believe it ;)
Excuse me Mac ..I am the president of the International Anti-Drinking Alliance.
Didn't you notice that I made no comment about RKJ posting .
I am also the president of the Uk virgin alliance too , not that there many of them around under the age of 17 any more , unless you know better . And if you do , I think it's better you keep it to yourself . :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That thinking is a bit contradictory. OK so a UK boat doesn't have to be registered but, once it is, the official document is the only valid one and I'm sure there will be something in the rules/law to outlaw falsifying documents.
The guy wasn't falsifying any thing , well not that I sew, it had the SSR number given to him the dates of issues and expeiring , his details , just he added a few more , nomwhere did it say it was issues by the MCA or that it was an official document .

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
The laminated SSR doc that is issued is (sort of) an official Doc, so anything passed off as that would, I suspect, be a forgery.
That doesn't stop you (as I have) producing a business card or the like with a pic of boat, SSR, Call Sign, MOB #, e-mail or any other details you might want.
They are handy to give to people you meet who you want to exchange details with.

GrahamM376

Visit site
The guy wasn't falsifying any thing , well not that I sew, it had the SSR number given to him the dates of issues and expeiring , his details , just he added a few more , nomwhere did it say it was issues by the MCA or that it was an official document .

From your original post - What stop anyone making up his / her own registry documents

So, what's the purpose for the document he's produced?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
From your original post - What stop anyone making up his / her own registry documents

So, what's the purpose for the document he's produced?

I wouldn't know Graham , other then to have all the info on the document to save officials asking more question ,
I ask him next time I see him.
I was just Interested in other people view .

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
The laminated SSR doc that is issued is (sort of) an official Doc, so anything passed off as that would, I suspect, be a forgery.
That doesn't stop you (as I have) producing a business card or the like with a pic of boat, SSR, Call Sign, MOB #, e-mail or any other details you might want.
They are handy to give to people you meet who you want to exchange details with.

Is the SSR document laminated? I know that part I is though it is a poor replacement for the old blue book which looked a lot more imposing and didn't need to be renewed.

I remember a friend scanning his old SSR document and having the year altered to make it current before printing a copy. It served until his genuine replacement caught up with him in the mail at a marina somewhere in Spain. At least the document caught up with him before the law did. :D:D

I don't remember it being laminated but it was about 3 years ago.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Ok time to put the John Bull print box away then and go back to printing euros notes ,

Nah I would just start printing pounds, the Euro wont be around much longer. Anyway, you try and use a €500 note. I had one and had free drinks for a week ....................................

- until I had spent the €500

capnsensible

Visit site
Both my boats (!) are Part 1. I got copies of their Registration Paper. As I goto Morocco quite a bit, guess which one gets lodged with the Officials?

Yup, nice one Sherlock!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Nah I would just start printing pounds, the Euro wont be around much longer. Anyway, you try and use a €500 note. I had one and had free drinks for a week ....................................

- until I had spent the €500

500 euros ? Drink for one week? , chris I would cancel the CA membership and use the cash for an AA one :)
Joking apart , I had less problem spending an 500 E note once then I have braking up an 50 pound note back home .
Mind you I was only trying to buy an ice cream .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Both my boats (!) are Part 1. I got copies of their Registration Paper. As I goto Morocco quite a bit, guess which one gets lodged with the Officials?

Yup, nice one Sherlock!

I have to say , I also have copy's and if I go anywhere dodge where I asked to leave then behind to collet when I leave I also show the copy .

capnsensible

Visit site
500 euros ? Drink for one week? , chris I would cancel the CA membership and use the cash for an AA one :)
Joking apart , I had less problem spending an 500 E note once then I have braking up an 50 pound note back home .
Mind you I was only trying to buy an ice cream .

If you should be in Spain, the big day chain Leroy Merlin will always take a 500 euro note no matter how much you spend. Scanned and done. Impressed me.

macd

Visit site
If you should be in Spain, the big [DIY] chain Leroy Merlin will always take a 500 euro note no matter how much you spend.

They no doubt do the same in France, Greece, Italy, etc. They're probably not so accomodating in their Chinese or Russian branches. ;)

Our current Greek boatyard is also happy to take them, but they do have a rather large lump of collateral.

Last edited: