SSR Decal size

Rafiki

Visit site
I have just re-registered Rafiki onto the SSR register and now need to get a decal made with the SSR number. I seem to recall that there is a stipulated minimum size for the decal, but I cant seem to find it anywhere. So can anyone help or point me in the right direction:

1) what is the minimum size ?
2) Is there a designated 'script' or can I use what I like provided it is large enough?
3) Is there a 'gap' between SSR and the number ?

Thanks in advance. Andrew

gavrob

Visit site
I have just re-registered Rafiki onto the SSR register and now need to get a decal made with the SSR number. I seem to recall that there is a stipulated minimum size for the decal, but I cant seem to find it anywhere. So can anyone help or point me in the right direction:

1) what is the minimum size ?
2) Is there a designated 'script' or can I use what I like provided it is large enough?
3) Is there a 'gap' between SSR and the number ?

Thanks in advance. Andrew

I ordered some from

SSR Boat Numbers Small Ships Register Registration Number Sized to Regulations | eBay

arrived very quickly.

lustyd

Visit site
If they were supposed to be applied in a certain way then the instructions would be easy to find. I can only assume the instructions are no longer provided because nobody cares, it's not even on the website. I think it was the merchant shipping act that defines it but even that doesn't specify for SSR. As long as it's readable and visible I think you'll be fine. Mine were cut on a Cricut at home in colours to match the various locations using a nice clear font.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I've just found the marking note that the MCA sent me in 2019.

For part 1 you have to sign to swear that you've applied the name and hull number, and return the form, before the certificate is issued.

The details are reasonably comprehensive, stating that "the name and port of choice (unless an exempted ship), are to be permanently marked on a
conspicuous and permanent part of the stern on a dark ground in white or yellow letters, or on a light ground in black letters, the letters being not less than 5 centimetres high and of proportionate breadth, or, where this is not possible by the alternative methods given below" and then going on about how carved wooden or plastic plates should be affixed and varnished, or by "by individual glass reinforced plastic letters and numbers approximately 2mm in thickness".

Anyway, 6cm high for SSR and 5cm high for part 1, for some reason.

lustyd

Visit site
BTBaltic's post #4 has it, I believe
I agree, they certainly have no idea if it's changed in the last decade, and that does appear to be what was sent in 2011. It doesn't answer the original question on current requirements but I can't find fault in the content at all.

Black Sheep

Visit site
BTBaltic's post #4 has it, I believe.
I thought BTBaltic had it too - I recognise the wording from my earlier registrations. But I've checked my more recent electronic registration, and there's no advice on marking. So I thought I'd dig out the appropriate legislation. I believe that this is The Merchant Shipping (Small Ships Register) Regulations 1983, the relevant part of which reads:
1646254556788.png
No mention of typeface, font size, or colour.
So, either there's more legislation that I haven't found, or the advice on the old SSR cover letter was in excess of that specified in the legislation. Maybe there was case law that said that smaller writing wasn't "clearly painted"?

Edit: Just to add that I'm only digging round the regs for my own amusement; I fully agree with LittleSister's comment below that it makes sense to follow the 30mm etc guidance that bitbaltic copied in #4.

Last edited:

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I've never heard of anyone being challenged about the size, font or whatever, so I imagine that so long as you are sensible about it - i.e. comply roughly with the advice reproduced in post #4 - size, contrast and don't have silly illegible font, there'll never be an issue.

Which reminds me, I once set off for France in a boat with no SSR number displayed (it was newly registered IIRC). I had bought the relevant separate letters and numbers from a hardware shop, and had them with me, but had forgotten to apply them before we departed and only remembered them as we approached the French coast. (I think we'd seen a French patrol boat or something like that.) So I had to lean over the side of the cockpit coaming, head upside down, as the boat rolled along, to apply them one by one. They weren't very straight or evenly spaced!

Gwylan

Visit site
It's on the guff that used to come with the registration. Also the seagull site does them correctly.

At the same time add your home port. That keeps foreign jobsworth happy. Even prior to BREXIT they thought it meant something important.
You may wonder how a brush with the Belgian authorities alerted me to that one.
On the stern and in clear view it seems keeps them happy.

Rafiki

Visit site
Thanks all, very helpful as usual.
I will use a local vinyl van signs man I have used before as he has my preferred font and boat name etc saved on his computer.