SSB

Boatman

Visit site
Can any one tell me what is the shortest commercially available SSB (2-30Mhz) antenna for sailboats, as I don't feel like mounting a 23ft pole on a 33ft boat. Since I have an adjustable backstay a converted backstay won't work. As to why I want an SSB that's another story.

charles_reed

Visit site
Re: SSB aerial

There's no reason why you can't use your adjuatable backstay as your SSB aerial - my adjusting backstay works just great.
Just use the Norseman insulated terminals above the adjuster and about 600mm below the mast-head fitting.

I'd suggest, unless you only intend to receive, that you consider how you're going to get an adequate R/F groundplane, which is a far bigger conundrum.

Bergman

Visit site
I agree with Charles about the backstay although remember the wire from the ATU to the stay is also part of the aerial.

If you really have a problem with this you could use a cap shroud with the insulators above the deck and below the spreaders.

Be careful either way because touching a live aerial can produce a very nasty burn. RF burns from the inside outwards and can do damage without leaving much of a mark - so you don't even get any sympathy.

The main things you must do is have a good tuning unit for the aerial. The automatic ones now available are very good but not cheap.

The other thing is an "earth". The sea makes a very good earth but to connect to it is difficult. Again the gear is available but not cheap to buy or fit. There are some "dodges" you could try for earthing but the proper kit is best

Hope this helps

Bergman

Visit site
I agree with Charles about the backstay although remember the wire from the ATU to the stay is also part of the aerial.

If you really have a problem with this you could use a cap shroud with the insulators above the deck and below the spreaders.

Be careful either way because touching a live aerial can produce a very nasty burn. RF burns from the inside outwards and can do damage without leaving much of a mark - so you don't even get any sympathy.

The main things you must do is have a good tuning unit for the aerial. The automatic ones now available are very good but not cheap.

The other thing is an "earth". The sea makes a very good earth but to connect to it is difficult. Again the gear is available but not cheap to buy or fit. There are some "dodges" you could try for earthing but the proper kit is best

In terms of commercially available aerials there are a range of mobile aerials but non of them that I know of are made for marine use. Also they have a very narrow bandwidth and are tuned to Amateur bands not marine. I have used a G-Whip with some success (not on the boat) but that was some time ago, there may be better ones available.

But honestly I would use the rigging.

Hope this helps

Boatman

Visit site

Any experience with sintered copper groundplanes was considering one from cruisermart (slow I know) which is suppost to be the equivalent to 100sq feet. At a price I might add, any other suggestions?

charles_reed

Visit site

Sintered groundplane.

Major claims made for these - most of the US marine hams I've spoken with are very scathing considering them a ploy for parting fools from their cas.

I actually fitted one, but epoxied 4.2m2 of copper mesh, below the waterline in the rear cabin.

The mesh was screening mesh from RS Components.