SSB Again

keninmed

Visit site
Re: marine v ham

We bought the boat in Cyprus last year.Sailed to Turkey and back.Navtex was dissapointing we seemed to only rx Haifa.Nothing on VHF and Port info was poor.
ON return we weretold about "the net", SSB, HF and weather focasts on the 2(?) Meg band.
All a bit of mumbo jumbo to me im afraid but I think I must improve my info sources.
Would a Rx only set do the trick and what frequencies would I need,is 2Meg correct?
I understand a Tx set would be a useful emergency back up.What are my low cost options? Any advice on this would be appreciated

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
Re: marine v ham

ssb tx has no low cost options!

a 2nd hand set is a lot cheaper than new but cheaper than £2k is still a lot of dosh.

forget ssb for emergencies, not many places keep a listening watch on 2182 mhz. a rx only set will let you listen in on all the networks, just doesn't let you ask questions but that's seldom a problem, there's usually someone close enough to you to cover the area you're in for weather info.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Because, it's my job I should just point out a couple of legalities here.

To operate on Amateur (Ham) frequencies you are required to hold the relevant qualification and radio licence.

Amateur equipment is not allowed to TX on Maritime frequencies and vice versa. If you have a bit of kit that does this it is illegal and breakes the terms of your Amateur radio licence.

there you go all done.

Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>Team Executive,
Maritime & Aeronautical Team, Ofcom