SRC (VHF) in the med?

bbilly

Visit site
Is an SRC (short range VHF certificate) issued in the UK valid in the med? Here's the catch 22. I am a British citizen resident in Italy (community partners), I have an Italian flag, I hold a full cruising license with no limitations subject of an official maritime exam, written, theory, oral and practical. Ilso need an SRC. The Italian SRC is issued by the Italian PO on request (no examination or certification) only to Italian citizens! So I was thinking - I do an SRC in the UK and use that if stopped on my "Italian" boat and stick this under their noses, could have it tranlated into the 8 communitylanguages with official stamps?

Thoughts? Implications?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Why dont you ask Ofcom. They are slow with their response, but you will get a sort of answer eventually!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Solitaire

Visit site
The SRC is an international certificate. Thus even though issued in the UK it is valid throughout the world.

<hr width=100% size=1>Boating is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.powerboattraininguk.co.uk>Serious Fun</A>

Visit site
So:-

'twould be interesting to know who's been asked to produce one and where.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

bbilly

Visit site
Re: So:-

When I go to Ponza (off the Latium Coast in Italy) the coastguards have been know to wait for you at the 6 miles limit to check your documents. Best to avoid hassles and have something to proffer. It also means a visit home to Dorset and meet some old friends (as well as the 9 o'clock news, a pint of bitter, fishnchips, a tradition english dinner (vindaloo), ....

<hr width=100% size=1>

The SRC syllabus is laid down in the International Radio Regulations and therefore a UK issued one held by the skipper of a UK vessel is definitely recognised internationally. I see no reason why one held by a UK national crewing on a foreign flagged vessel would not be fine.

However, as with all such things you will need to check with the "Flag State" in question to be certain.

Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>No fixed JOB Title, something or other in Ofcom<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Mike_Martin on 11/03/2004 13:53 (server time).</FONT></P>

bbilly

Visit site
What would be best would to be able to get an Italian cert. Seems absurd that the "driving licence" for a boat is quite a difficult exam to pass - I can get one; but a VHF licence which requires no exam or preparation (on request) I cant have!!! But I must have it.

Logica

Thanks for the pointers, I have sent a query...waiting response, which I will post.

<hr width=100% size=1>