Squadron 78 For Sale

jfm

Visit site
I do most of the imagining how it all fits together/will look together in my head, but they are preparing a full render book for me, which I'll get soon. No third party design firm - that's too time consuming imho. Obviously I see sample books/swatches of fabrics, paint finishes, marbles, etc.

I've met/ known the owner of that SL96A several years - great guy. Not that frequent a YF visitor these days! I suggest this link is a better video, because you don't have David Seal's commentary. Ace is a very customised boat and represents its owner's design choices (maximised storage) but I'll go in a different direction. :)

EricJ

Visit site
Thank you. Yes my Sq78 is now in the hands of an enthusiastic/knowledgeable/experienced new Italian owner, who has owned one before and will I think keep her in Genoa or thereabouts. Boats.co.uk were as usual brilliant about making the sale happen and insulating me from all the detail of surveying and snagging. It's no longer called Match - I retain the name on the UK part 1 and Jersey registers - and I don't know what the new name will be. I believe new owner plans a refit (new carpets, teak, external upholstery, etc) ready for next season and I wish him well.

The new Sanlorenzo and Ribeye projects are progressing very well. Neither build physically started yet, but are about to, in January. A lot of speccing , drawings and factory visits have been going on these last few months. The Ribeye will be a beautiful thing and the team there are delightfully enthusiastic and a lot of fun to deal with. The Sanlorenzo is a massive project in terms of research and deciding the final detailed spec. A boat like this is far more complex than say a FairPrinSeek because the factory offers to build anything you ask for; you are not limited to tick-box options.

Just one example: with FairPrinSeek they ask which wood veneer do you want out of light oak/walnut and matt/gloss. Sanlorenzo tell me I can have any wood veneer that is available anywhere on the planet, plus Alpi digitally printed (real-wood) veneer, and any % of gloss from 5% to 100% in 5% increments. Also I can have any part painted in any colour, instead of veneer. So there's a lot to decide right there.

My project is by far the most complex SL96A they will ever have built and has easily the longest options list. Literally hundreds of line items in the spec, and the options are costing more than my whole Sq78 cost when new.

The Sanlorenzo factory team in Italy and the UK dealer are a delight to deal with I'm very much looking forward to the build process. I'll try to find time to start a thread next year.
very, very cool! I am amazed that you find time to go through all the choices both the design options and the technical ones. We are working with an interior designer for our new house and I find it very helpful that someone does some research for me and comes with fabric proposals rather than me checking all possible options/combinations. And this is a tiny project compared to your SL. Anyway, really nice and the Ribeye too.
I guess you spent some time at Metstrade in November. I paid a quick visit to the show and was actually amazed how big it is. Had a nice chat with Toby from the Kahlenberg horns.
I was looking at the differences between the SL90 and SL96 and noted the different location of the owner’s cabin bathroom (down towards the bow on the 90). are the layouts of the models pretty much fixed or can you make changes there as well?

Mr Googler

Visit site
I do most of the imagining how it all fits together/will look together in my head, but they are preparing a full render book for me, which I'll get soon. No third party design firm - that's too time consuming imho. Obviously I see sample books/swatches of fabrics, paint finishes, marbles, etc.

I've met/ known the owner of that SL96A several years - great guy. Not that frequent a YF visitor these days! I suggest this linkis a better video, because you don't have David Seal's commentary. Ace is a very customised boat and represents its owner's design choices (maximised storage) but I'll go in a different direction. :)
I only counted 26 scatter cushions in that video…..disappointingly low numbers those

jfm

Visit site
Replying to EricJ #130...

I would love to go to Metstrade but never have time! Toby is a great guy. I have specced Kahlenberg horns on this project = same model as my previous boat

The SL models (up to 120 feet) pretty much have fixed layouts. Many many things can be customised, 100x more than say Sunseeker/Princess/etc could do, but not the location of basic bulkhead and cabin partitions. I have a partition (non structural bulkhead) and porthole that are being moved in the crew area, and 2x VIP shower room en-suites where the normal wall/door is replaced by dual sliding doors so that the shower room can be left open to the cabin (or closed off) with the WC behind another glass door, but I suppose that is not really in "moving bulkheads" territory. There is also a 4 vs 5 cabin option on several models, which involves bulkheads, but that's about it.

The 90 and 96 have quite different layouts as you can see online. I suspect that if you asked SL they would agree to have the owner bathroom on a 96A in the same place as it is located on the 90, basically swapping positions for the bathroom and walk in dressing area, but I wouldn't want that. My 96A is the 5 cabin version by the way, and also will have 3x 2-person en-suite crew cabins, compared with 4+2 cabins as shown on the website. So that's 8x cabins/bathrooms and 9 WCs altogether.

Bouba

Visit site
Replying to EricJ #130...

I would love to go to Metstrade but never have time! Toby is a great guy. I have specced Kahlenberg horns on this project = same model as my previous boat

The SL models (up to 120 feet) pretty much have fixed layouts. Many many things can be customised, 100x more than say Sunseeker/Princess/etc could do, but not the location of basic bulkhead and cabin partitions. I have a partition (non structural bulkhead) and porthole that are being moved in the crew area, and 2x VIP shower room en-suites where the normal wall/door is replaced by dual sliding doors so that the shower room can be left open to the cabin (or closed off) with the WC behind another glass door, but I suppose that is not really in "moving bulkheads" territory. There is also a 4 vs 5 cabin option on several models, which involves bulkheads, but that's about it.

The 90 and 96 have quite different layouts as you can see online. I suspect that if you asked SL they would agree to have the owner bathroom on a 96A in the same place as it is located on the 90, basically swapping positions for the bathroom and walk in dressing area, but I wouldn't want that. My 96A is the 5 cabin version by the way, and also will have 3x 2-person en-suite crew cabins, compared with 4+2 cabins as shown on the website. So that's 8x cabins/bathrooms and 9 WCs altogether.
There is that famous Star Trek quote, 'It's Life, Jim, but not as we know it'

Bajansailor

Visit site
My 96A is the 5 cabin version by the way, and also will have 3x 2-person en-suite crew cabins, compared with 4+2 cabins as shown on the website.

Re the 5 cabins for owners and guests, will the large full width double on the lower deck be replaced by two smaller cabins?
And I am wondering where the third crew cabin will be located - will it be right up forward on the lower deck?

Lower deck plan :
San Lorenzo 96 lower deck plan.jpg

Main deck plan :

San Lorenzo 96 main deck plan.jpg