Spruce

rowlock

Visit site
In need of a piece of clear European or Sitka Spruce at least 3’ 6” sawn 2-1/2” x 2-1/2”
To finish a little over 2” squre for a mast repair. Having a mare with Robbins. Any other sources known?

burgundyben

Visit site
I used to use Bamptons in Southampton but they've packed up.

Totton Timber fairly good, maybe worth a call. It'd be a long shot though.

There used to be another common reccomendation on here, Barchard or Blanchard, something like that but I've forgotten.

What about some of the boat or spar builders? Call Collars?

Hacker

Visit site
If you Google “Sitka spruce timber for sale uk” you will get a few more options than Robbins. We‘ve just had a load of it delivered for making gig oars but not sure where it came from. I’ll see if I can find out tomorrow.

jamie N

Visit site
Apparently sourcing wood is extremely difficult at the moment, in part due to a building boom in the USA, and a change of circumstances in the UK.
This told to me by a wooden boat builder trying to source wood to make my new mast. :cry:

Last edited:

jamie N

Visit site
Just heard from the boat builder that his supplier has now got the Douglas Fir required for my mast, but it's more expensive by 23%!
Slightly different of course in quantity, but good luck to the OP.

dancrane

Visit site
I used to use Bamptons in Southampton but they've packed up.

That is a real shame. I had depended on them, irregularly, for marine ply and nice hardwood offcuts.

Sorry for the thread drift...I'm on holiday in a month and want to make 9mm ply floorboards for my antique Redstart, as a beach toy...

...given that it'll have an easy life, is it worth economising and getting a builders' merchant grade of ply (what's the difference between 'structural' and non-structural? Are both useless when wet?) or do I need to spend more on the floor than the boat cost, plus a long foul weekend of epoxying?

Is tough all-surface paint a remotely adequate substitute for light-duty ply?