Spring tides

Close hauled

Visit site
We all know what causes Spring and Neap tides, but why is it 'Spring' tide? Can't be anything to do with the time of year. I can't find an answer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Etymology seems uncertain, but seems to be derived from very early languages (PIE, proto indo european <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.utexas.edu/depts/classics/documents/PIE.html>here</A> )sprengh- "rapid movement." hence a strong tide which is said to "spring forth" onto the coast, and thus is called a spring tide.

Spring (v.) - O.E. springan "to leap, burst forth, fly up" (class III strong verb; past tense sprang, pp. sprungen), from P.Gmc. *sprenganan, from PIE *sprengh- "rapid movement." In M.E., it took on the role of causal sprenge, from O.E. sprengan (as still in to spring a trap, etc.). The word was also used in O.E. as a noun meaning "source of a stream or river," on the notion of the water "bursting forth" from the ground. The elastic coil that returns to its shape when stretched is so called from 1428. As "season following winter" it replaced O.E. Lent by late 14c., earlier springing time, the "spring of the year," when plants "spring up." Spring fever was O.E. lenctenadle; first record of spring cleaning is in 1887. Spring chicken "young person" first recorded 1906

Neap tide is easier, as it comes from the more recent Old English "neepflood"
népflód, Da. niptid
Historical Connection: The term's etymology is somewhat obscure; historically, an early usage is found only in the bible in Exodus 469: "foraganges nep" = without power of advancing.

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

Close hauled

Visit site
Thanks Brendan - I am now an educated yottie. Can't wait for someone to ask me the question.

While you're at it, 'why is orange jam called marmalade?'

<hr width=100% size=1>

Stingo

Visit site
Just a guess, but I think marmalade is made from citrus fruit and has the rind added as flavour and not the flesh.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> <font color=blue>- still showing at a computer near you</font color=blue>

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: Marmalade

Really easy (because it was on Radio 4 just last week! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif)

Derives from Marmelo, (Portugese for Quince, which was what Marmalade was originally made from, before the orange variety became popular in the UK) via Portugese marmelada, and French marmelade,

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

BrendanS

Visit site
Probably should have explained that
O.E.= Old English
M.E.= Middle English (more recent than Old English)
P.Gmc= Proto Germanic (very, very old, German language, precursor to modern German, and more interestingly, precursor to Old English, which probably explains why German always made more sense to me at school than French!)
PIC = Proto Indo European is the origin of all of them.

All of these are ancient, anything that has proto in front, means it was before written languages, so no written records, so they can only be guessed at.

Plum

Visit site
Re: Spring tides - the origin of the terms

Origin Saxon. Spring from Sprigan: to swell. Neap from Neafte: scarcity

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site

Origin is much, much older than Saxon

JonA

Visit site

Hence a heifer's udder is said to "spring" when in calf.
Jonathan

<hr width=100% size=1>JonA