Split charging

squidge

Visit site
Probly a silly question but...Having purchased a split charging diode for my 2 batteries i could do with advise on wireing.It looks as though the + charging side goes to the central terminal on my isolation switch ( 1,2,both off). If i put the split charge diode before the isolation switch and connect it to both batteries do i then connect the + terminal of the diode to the + treminal of the iso switch ? Am i correct in thinking that the diode is like a non return valve and will not let the current bypass the iso switch ?My current set up is to manually set the iso switch to the battery i wish to charge/use.Thanks /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Wire the positive output from the alternator to the central terminal of your split charge diode. Then wire each output from the diode to one of the batteries. You can either wire these direct to the battery terminals (best solution), or to the 1 & 2 terminals on your isolation switch. All the wiring needs to be big enough to handle the full output of your alternator.

The isolation switch will then only be selecting the source of the power you're using.

Remember that there's a voltage drop (around 0.7v) across the diode, so unless you compensate for this your batteries won't charge as efficiently. The ideal solution is to use a smart regulator (Adverc, etc). Alternatively, you could get your alternator modified to allow a remote sensing lead which should be connected to your domestic battery. Some alternators have an integral regulator which can be adjusted to increase the output voltage.

<hr width=100% size=1>

alan54

Visit site
i am attempting a similiar set up on my 30` steel. re-wiring the engine. the previous set up was a 3 way switch but i want a diode system which is the most reliable. as we know the diode system loses up to 0.8v so an alternator/regulator that can compensate for this loss is needed as this is unacceptable loss on a charging system. another way is to use an electronic diode spliter which compensates for the loss. Feurnaux riddle in portsmouth are selling some very cheap one for £15 +vat. i will then use two single isolating switches for each battery. you are correct the diode is a one way valve and is meant to prevent the weaker battery discharging from the other. the charge from the battery will pass thro` the diode equally into both bateries. the diode would be a two in one out set up for this purpose. there may be no need to use the three way battery switch. (hope this makes sense) use John Paynes Electrical bible book an excellent book for 25 quid or so
good luck
alan

<hr width=100% size=1>