split charger relay

G

split charger relay box by KDD Powerchargers Ltd on our recently purchased Westerly Merlin looks as if it has ben modified. There are 5 inputs marked Engine, Aux, Bat Neg, Charger Ind ,Power load out.Aux and Engine are externally linked with connections to alternator and to output side of battery selector switch.Bat neg is connected but nothing on other two. Q. What is this box supposed to do and how ? Q. I assume that they way it is connected it is virtually redundant ? Q. Best way to charge 2 batteries,one a deep cycle, with our setup?

G

Normally 'Aux' would be connected to service battery, 'Eng' to starter battery. 'Charge ind' is connected to one side of the relay coil and goes to the alternator connection to the ignition light. The other side of the relay coil would be connected to a +12v. The engine is started only from the starter battery. Once the alternator starts to charge and the ignition light goes out, the relay is energised and the two batteries are connected together for charging. Yes it does sound redundant the way it is connected. Ask ten people for the optimal way of charging two batteries and you will get fifteen different answers. My advice is to fit an Adverc and let that sort it out. Dick James

G

I'd agree with Dick James with the following added provisos 1. Effectively what you have is a splitting diode for two battery banks. It does nothing for the charge rate on the two batteries and your deep-cycle battery will probably never get much above 65% charge. 2. If you use the Adverc with two types of battery (I've got a lead-calcium in 3rd bank) you need to put the temp sensor on the "lowest" rated or risk having it boiled. Both deep-cycle and lead calcuim need higher charge voltages than conventional wet 9 platers. I monitor my lot using a digital voltmeter and never (which is one hell of a long time) pick any one battery to be "reserved" engine battery. I've found the latter conventional wisdom to be the best way of needing a succession of replacement engine batteries. Not surprising as the majority of "experts" have a vested interest in selling one new batterise I suppose.

G

I have the KDD Powercentre in 1990 Fulmar. KDD supplied a data sheet about two years ago when tel no was 01326 376938 (Brian Kinder). The engine battery is permanently connected to the alternator without any diode to drop charging voltage. Voltage sensing closes a relay to charge the auxiliary battery once the starting battery is up to voltage. I can fax or post a copy if it helps.

G

Tony--I have been unable to locate KDD hence all the above. I will now try phone number you have given but as a back up, a fax of data sheet would be a great help. 0141 954 6102 and marked for my attention please. Maybe you can help with a second problem which is the two sets of battery indicator neons on the main panel,which I am assuming will be similary to that on the Merlin. I have a multi-core signal cable at the battery end which is connected to nothing and I am sure that it belongs to the main panel. Of course no wiring diagram for it!!I don't suppose that you would have a drawing for this bit as well. ?

Many thanks for your help and to those others who have replied to my query. I am realy most impressed with this forum

Regards Henry Wilkinson

G

Tony --I have tried to locate KDD but without sucess hence my query. I will now try phone number you have given but as a back up a faxed copy of the data sheet would be great--0141 954 6102 and marked for my attention please. As you have a Merlin with possibily the same main panel as ours which includes two sets of neon's for battery levels.Maybe you have a idea to help solve another problem which is a multi core signal cable lying at the battery end unconnected. I am sure it belongs to the above but of course no wiring diagrams. Maybe you have something that might help? Many thanks for your help and also to the authors of the other replies that I have received. Regards Henry Wilkinson