Special Ensign

G

I bought my yacht last year and it came with a special ensign (red with a yacht clubs badge embroidered on it).

How serious is the "offence" to fly it?

Will it just annoy the G and T crowd, or are there any more serious consequences?

Regards

Sean

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Defacing a RED ENSIGN with the clubs ensignia sounds like very bad form old chap!
I would return it to the owner and purchase a new one if you are not a member of this club.
Most clubs have a burgee that is flown at the crosstrees, when visiting a foreign country then that countries flag is flown superior to the club burgee.
As to can you fly a defaced red ensign not heard of anybody being shot but best keep your head down.
All the best to you
Trevor

mica

Visit site
Quite agree. Can't imagine why anyone would want to fly anything but the Red Ensign. I see it as a bit of oneupmanship which I for one of many look down upon.
The Red Ensign should be the only flag any British vessel should need or want.

MICA

G

Re: Big Mistake

Sorry Mica, big mistake, British, what is that these days. If those over both borders can fly national flags why not an Englishman. Away from water it would be racial abuse

johnt

Visit site
to the best of my kowledge there ARE legal defaced red ensigns around .cant remember who has the warrents though

Royal Suffolk and Norfolk YC could be one that has.
and I think they can attract fines of £500 if flown improperly.

But Hey .. who am I to talk ? I fly an ENGLISH ensign !
and it dont half confuse johnny foreigner ! eh what what ?

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Allegedly there are fines for misuse of ensigns but never heard of it happening to anyone.

At risk of being accused to living in the past I am proud of British nautical / naval history and whatever the penalty for flying the wrong ensign is why bother? What is anyone gaining from it, a new red ensign only costs £10 so why (possibly) upset those who are entitled to it?

Certain clubs - some may call g&t set - do a lot of work to produce publications / pilot books etc that the ordinary weekend sailors (such as me) use. These clubs do have warrants to fly special ensigns - Royal Yacht Squadron has White (along with serving Naval Officers in an 'establishment yacht'), RCC / RNSA and several more Blue as well as the defaced Blue and Reds. I am a member of the RNSA but only use the Red ensign as my boat is under the length for a warrant!

At the end of the day the 'proper' flag for a British Vessel is the Red Ensign and as long as we have free choice there will be people arguing their point of view. It looks a lot better than a mid blue thing with stars on it.

Can someone help me off this soapbox?

G

I Don't intend to fly the special ensign, just interested about the views regarding them!

G

cant comprehend why you would wish to claim membership of a club of which you are not a member. after all, the defaced ensign is a mix of the national ensign you are in theory forced to fly, and a club flag.

incidentally, i heard the story of a uk boat (liveaboard) with a particularly tatty red ensign that was legally boarded by the british consul in portugal and the ensign confiscated. apparently it is an offense not to fly an ensign when abroad, or to have a tatty one, but i can only imagine anyone bothering outside the british isles.

i fly a welsh ensign, as a fully qualified awkward old sod living in wales

G

You need a good Jolly Rogering then !

Same for that blackguard flying a tatty Red Ensign as well......

What's the damn place coming to ?

At last - a chance for me to have a go at someone who ain't flying a Blue one for a change.

My own Red Ensign ( pure and undefaced) is currenly being laundered, starched, and pressed ready for the forthcoming season.

Any self respecting sailor should be doing the same !

kioo

Visit site
Defaced Red Ensigns tend to be National Flags or belong to organisations.
The Maritime Volunteer Service was awarded their ensign a couple of years ago and we regard it as a privilege. You should view it, along with other good news, on www.mvs.org.uk

At my last count there were 36 Defaced Reds.

byron

RIP
Visit site
You don't mention what the defacement is. Among several clubs who hold a warrant to fly a defaced red are the Royal Lymington and Lloyds. You cannot fly it unless you are a member of the club concerned and have the appropriate Warrant issued by the Club on behalf of the Admiralty. You will be spotted immediately by any person clued up on these matters if you fly it illegally, one instant give away is the lack of a corresponding burgee. The fine is a max. of £500 for wearing an illegal ensign, the Admiralty do however give a warning first and only if you persist in flouting the rules do they prosecute. Any Customs & Excise Officer can demand to see your Warrant as can a R.N. Officer and there is always someone around who will draw their attention to someone who has the wrong ensign up.

ô¿ô

byron

RIP
Visit site
Sorry mate.... wrong. Whilst the red ensign is technically the senior one, others such as Blue, defaced Blue, defaced Red and even the White can be worn by vessels with appropriate Warrants. If your premise were correct Fleet Auxiliaries would wear red as would Army vessels and vessels such as certain Liners which are M.O.D. reserve troopships (Canberra-Falklands)

ô¿ô

byron

RIP
Visit site
I too was born in Wales but would not fly the Dragon for apart from it not being a nautical flag it would be a gross insult to all the brave Welshmen that have sailed and fought under our proud British ensign.

ô¿ô

G

Vic - when your wife starches your ensign, does she also starch your collar and your underpants?