Spain or Ballearics for new syndicate base? Advise/suggestions please!!

pcatterall

Visit site
Our new syndicate is considering moving its base from Cagliari in Sardinia.

Whilst going round to the Eastern Med is attractive I think we should have at least a season over in Spain or the Ballearics. My thinking is that flights are plentiful and cheap and that there should be interesting sailing. I guess we could look for a base marina in the Vallencia area or in one of the Ballearic islands.

Our group will want a Marina with good facillities and good access to onshore touristy things.
We would want to overwinter ashore and be able to do our own antifouling and basic work.
Any good ideas or suggestions that I can investigate and report back to my group.
Many thanks.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
General rule 1. For moorings mainland Spain cheaper than Baleares.
General rule 2. In mainland Spain the further south you go, the cheaper moorings are (and cost of living becomes).
General rule 3. Places you've never heard of will be cheaper than ones you have heard of.

WIth that in mind, three to consider. Alerimar, Agua Dulce, Torrevieja.I think all three meet your criteria in whole or in substantial part, except that none are in the Baleares.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Having spent 5 years with boat on Mallorca and 3 seasons now in Croatia, I would not hesitate to recommend Croatia

I share the yacht with another and Adriatic is ideal for this. Lots of places to changeovers so you are not going in and out of the same marina.

With a syndicate you could plan lots of one way trips up the Adriatic finishing in Venice and then back down again finishing in DUbrovnik

TudorSailor

Trident

Visit site
Obviously we have no idea of your budget or boat but allow £12000 a year for a reasonably nice Ibiza marina for a 10m boat as an example - and then unless you are in Ibiza town allow that everything is closed over winter and its a bit "seaside in winter" feeling
Palma of course has lots to do over winter but in summer is a touristy nightmare and even more expensive

Mainland Spain is a much more economic option, has better winter weather (the Balearics get gales and rain) and of course the opportunity to travel means there is a lot more to do. I would heartily recommend Cartagena - good marina, great Spanish town with lots of culture and history (and Opera house and theatre was just built next to the marina) , beautifully clean and well kept , only around £4000 a year for the same 10m boat and with a festival or music event (jazz, Spanish, classical etc not euro pop) every other week and not too many tourists. There is a great DIY and full service boat yard next door, and as an ex-navy port there are still lots of heavy industry and ship suppliers nearby (I found three places to rebuild hydraulic steering within 20 minutes cycle ) - also easy to get to Granada for skiing and Alhambra palace, Valencia for racing and there is a cheap flight airport at Murcia just 20 minutes away

MAURICE

Visit site
Hi
Ive just left Valencia (Juan Carlos marina) after almost 2 years there on my Moody 44. Price for 1 year was about 4400 euros. The transport was good with flights typically costing £30 upwards one way. Also easy transport to the marina. Sailing to Ibiza was about 12 hours direct or 9 hours from Denia.
You could also look at Burriana nova which is about 30 miles north. It is about 2400 euros a year for my boat but problamatic to get to and very quiet. There is a very cheap boat yard there which cost me about 650 euros for haul out them supplying the antifoul putting it on and back in. You get a cheaper price if you keep your boat there (450 euros).
Am currently in Lanzorote at the moment but am thinking of taking my boat back to Burriana next year. The money I save on moorings will pay for a hire car.
Maurice

JAYEL

Visit site
Just bought a Finca in Manacor, Mallorca, and investigated a couple of marinas close by on the bay of Alcudia, Colonia De San Pedro, all the marine facilities you need, Restaurants etc,6000 euro per annum for a 7 mtr fin keeler, Just two Km west,Son Serre de Marina, small marina,fishing smacks, a few leisure craft, Slipway, small crane, hoist. Restaurants 1 Km away, 2000 euro per annum. Thinking of taking my Trapper 300 to the latter. Both had deep water sheltered entrances at all times. Both had Yacht clubs. Blazers at the first , Shorts and T shirt and dirty hands at the latter.

Contest1

Visit site
Just spent 3 weeks on my recently bought Contest 29 in Marina de las Dunas, Guardamar de Segura?
Talking to the local boat owners its probably the cheapest marina around the Costa Blanca. Balerics are a good day sail away.
Guardamar is 20 minutes walk, Alicante 20 minutes drive. I, m heading back in October and planning to extend my lease for a further 12 months.m

Last edited: