SPADE just for suckers?

rickwat

Visit site
I seem to have grown a pair of donkey's ears. Whilst more than happy with a recent purchase of a Spade anchor the new Oceane at a fraction of the cost makes old Hy Ass look like a low down bum !

<hr width=100% size=1>

tony_brighton

Visit site
Thinking of buying a Spade myself - is the Oceane much better than the other Spades? Or is it just down to price?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
It appears that the Oceane is designed for us up to about 35 feet or 12 tons. If it went one size larger I would buy it. It also looks a bit more frail from the photos. Hylas - some information please - cannot afford to buy a Spade - but is the Ocena suitable or strong enough for 14 ton 40foot ketch???

<hr width=100% size=1>

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I've been trying to get one but it seems they're still not on the market.I can't wait forever so I'll probably go for some other make.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hylas

Visit site
Re: May I...

.. make some comments..

First, I won't advertise on this forum, but as the questions are rather precise.. what shall I do??

You will find the answers at most questions on the FAQ page on www.oceane-anchor.com

"Whilst more than happy with a recent purchase of a Spade anchor the new Oceane at a fraction of the cost makes old Hy Ass look like a low down bum !"

The SPADE and the Oceane are different anchors.. as by an automobile manufacturer you can find small models and luxury ones..

Whe have had rave comments all over the world for the SPADE, but also a lot of complaints about its COST.. The SPADE anchor is a JEWEL.. but very costly to manufacture.. and it can't be sold cheap..

We have developped the Oceane with one main goal.. a CHEAP price, but as we have a pretty good reputation, we will not ruin it.. and the Oceane has an increadible holding.. although its is from our own tests.. (and you are not obliged to believe them.. ) Holding of the Oceane is between two ans THREE time the holding of competitives anchors.. Some independent tests will be published this autumn..

"It appears that the Oceane is designed for us up to about 35 feet or 12 tons. but is the Ocena suitable or strong enough for 14 ton 40foot ketch??? "

The largest Oceane model (16 kg) is recommended for Boat LOA < 16 m (52') - Disp. < 12 tonnes - but as you know.. holding is related, not to the weight, but to the anchor's surface area.. The 16 kg model has a surface area of 1540 cm².. more than the Spade S 140 model (1400 sq cm) and the model S 140 ( 30 Kg) is given for boats LOA < 20 m / displacement < 20 t

Now you have also to understand that.. unless we have independant tests to prove it.. nobody will believe that a 16 kg anchor will be enough to hold a 20 metres/20 tons boat.. and we have to stay in between realistic figures.. (until we have enough independant tests to prove our claims..)

"Is the oceane on the market now? and who are the dealers for them, it sounds like a pretty good anchor. "

The first pre-serie has been sent to nautical magazines for tests all over the world and also to some "blue water sailors" who will test it under nearly all conditions..
all our regular distributors have also received some..

The first commercial serie is under manufacturing process and will be ready around the 15 of July. let's say, delivered around end of July in UK..
Our dealer for UK is www.spade-anchor.co.uk or www.oceane-anchor.co.uk
As they are also foreigners on this forum, all info are on "www.oceane.anchor.com" in English and French and soon in Spanish..

" The Oceane's an increadibly ugly looking anchor. "

Yes it is a defendable opinion.. but under 10 meters of water and some sand (or mud) who care about the look?.. (holding is more important). You can also see some pictures of how it looks on the bow of a boat on the web page: www.oceane-anchor.com.. not that bad..

And it will be rather difficult to say that it looks like a copy of ****... :0)

I will say, it is an "unusual" look.. but soon, when you will see a large quantity of them on a lot of boats.. you will like it..

Also, the SPADE has won the DAME 2000 design award at the professionnal boat show METS Amsterdam 2000.. it's a question of choice..

For direct questions, please ask our UK dealer or SPADE (info@spade-anchor.com)

<hr width=100% size=1>

rickwat

Visit site
Re: May I...

It has to be good news all round that more people will be able to afford your anchors. Best of luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Two_Hapence

Visit site
Hi,

Jacket writes: -

> Would you really want such a silly looking thing sitting on the front of your boat?

That's no way to talk about the skipper!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Two_Hapence

Visit site
Hi,

Jacket writes: -

> Would you really want such a silly looking thing sitting on the front of your boat?

That's no way to talk about the skipper!

<hr width=100% size=1>