Sowester Plough Anchors

JimC

Visit site
Has anybody got any experience/opinions on these. My present boat came with a 25 pound Sowester (on a 28 footer) and I'm a bit suspicious of it as I once dragged one in very moderate conditions in a previous boat. Are they really as good as a genuine CQR ? The proportions look a bit different.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
I use a pattern plough, probably a Sowester but to be honest I can't remember on my 3.5 ton 29 footer. I've no complaints, but the worst its been used in was a NE F5-6 in Swanage bay, when I put out all the chain (except the end bit!) and it bumped and snatched all night but didn't budge. Otherwise it tends to be lunches or waiting for the tide when I get home too early. In my opinion, without wanting to re-start the chain vs. rope wrangle, the amount of chain and the type of holding ground are at least as important as the type of anchor.

<hr width=100% size=1>

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
I had a Plastimo CQR copy and it was a dog. It laid on its side hard sand like a dog in front of a log fire because it was so hinge heavy. A true CQR or Delta has a lead weighted tip which might have helped.

From observation you get what you pay for. In ground that a bent spoon would hold then any anchor will do but if the bottom is difficult you need one that has years of design and effort in it.

I have watched fifty boats coming into a crowded hard sandy bay to shelter from a five and ALL the plough and bruce styles needed at least two goes to get a grip in hard sand. Only the danforth, spade and bungel styles held frirst time.

<hr width=100% size=1>