Southern Water dumps tons and tons of effluent in Chichester Harbour

Cloona

Visit site
No need to worry - they have agreed to have a "meeting"
before the end of the month -

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/localnews...ewage_leaks.php

Nothing like a meeting to enable you to keep on doing nothing - but the profits keep coming (with GBP61 million post tax - you can spare ten big ones to get this sorted)

The public statement from the Harbourmaster says the public are at risk from the activities or inactivity of the water company and basically we are being left swallowing shite -

Happy days -

Barry777

Visit site
You missed out the word "hopefully" from the report........official speak for "probably won't".

I despair of the Harbour Authority.....very sharp in collecting harbour dues....but not very good in policing/managing a safe environment.

Cloona

Visit site
"Other than the obvious health implications, the outbreak of Ecoli 0157 cases at Watergate Bay have caused particular concern after a young girl died recently from contracting the infection because she had unknowingly been exposed to raw sewage on a beach in Devon."

KevB

Visit site
Makes me laugh. I have a friend who has a waterfront house in Chi Harbour. A couple of years ago he received a warning from the harbour authority because his dinghy engine had stirred up the mud near his home where supposedly some special type of worm live. I guess compared, all the shite they are pumping into the harbour is irrelevant?

Lakesailor

Visit site
Re: Southern Water dumps tons and tons of effluent in Chichester Harbo

Yorkshire Water were thwarted in plans to have the Humber reclassified as coastal. They were trying to avoid building a new treatment plant so they would be able to just pump sewage into the Humber.

ccscott49

Visit site

Notice at the enbd of the article, they try to blame liveaboards, for pumping raw sewage Aresholes!! Not the sewage plant, poor old liveaboards again!!!

Bajansailor

Visit site

I remember vividly the sewage outfall at the entrance to Langstone Harbour 18 years ago - when the taps were opened a brown river flowed, and all the seagulls went bananas...... Occasionally someone would get a bit confused re tide times, and open the gates when the tide was flooding, and it would all potter off up into Langstone Harbour.......
I was working at the time with Ham Dredging, who were involved in building the Eastney Long Sea Outfall - a multimillion pound project to install a buried pipeline taking the sh!t 4 miles offshore instead.
I would have thought that a proper treatment plant would have been more effective than just chucking it out further offshore?

oldharry

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Makes me laugh. I have a friend who has a waterfront house in Chi Harbour. A couple of years ago he received a warning from the harbour authority because his dinghy engine had stirred up the mud near his home where supposedly some special type of worm live. I guess compared, all the shite they are pumping into the harbour is irrelevant?

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks increasingly as though the harbour board is interested in 'controlling' the activities of boat owners, rather than any co-ordinated attempt to conserve the harbour. Sewage - fine, as long as it doesnt come from a boat. (Is yotties poo more potent?). Worms - can be lifted by the kilo, but propellors must not be allowed to disturb them. Similarly wooden boats past their 'sink by' date which traditionally were burned on the beach - oh no, it might damage the invertebrates. Thousands of gallons of sewage from an outfall - and I have seen the solids and 'gentlemens rubber wear' drifiting down the harbour too, from the Apuldram outfall, but drop 200ml of oil in your bilges, and allow any to escape overboard - watch out!

Chichester Harbour 'Conservancy' ? I think not. And here's further evidence.