source of discounted rope?

Birdseye

Visit site
need to buy a new halyard or two and cant find a suitable cheap mail order outfit in the mags I have handy.

can anyone recommend a source (pm me if you think best) at better than chandlery prices?

Strathglass

Visit site
Got to agree with that especially for ropes. I was paying half the JG asking prices from another trader at Irvine a couple of years ago.
I bought hi techropes from that supplier for the same price as polyester ones on the JG stand.

Iain

alandee

Visit site
Try Barry Edwards. You can buy from him on E-Bay or privately. He even sends it to you when you are abroad which not many people are happy to do. Good Luck.

Sheff

Visit site
Several suppliers on ebay, I have bought halyards and dockline from two of them............. can't remember off hand which ones but could look up if you need to know.

Don't forget to factor in postage. IIRC Marlow Braid on Braid was £1.00 pm for 10mm. Marlow Dockline was similar for 12mm........... both including postage but these were prices 12 months ago.

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
I've now replaced all my halyards, mostly by bidding for set lengths as they've come up on Ebay. I needed two 24m lengths of 8mm Dyneema, and ended up with one 30m length for £40 inc postage, and one 25m length for around the same price from a different seller.

Thanks for the Rope Cellar ref, they may come in handy for some other jobs.

RMA

Visit site
I have used Rope Cellar twice now. Good prices and prompt service - ordered Friday, arrived Tuesday.

Recommended

oilyrag

Visit site
Second Barry Edwards - you can find him on ebay under "boatropes". Just bought a new set of braided mooring lines from him for a lot less than J. Green etc.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Another vote from Barry Edwards. He lives not far from me so I usually meet him to save postage. Recently bought some very nice mooring warps from him for £1 per metre. Jimmy Green price was £2.50 per metre. His stock is all imported from Canada, range slightly limited, e.g. only blue or red with white for halyards, but incredibly cheap.

Other threads that may be of interest