some old thames pics

No Regrets

Visit site
Fantastic!

Nice to se a Birchwood 25 in there /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Haven't the locks changed? Loads more mooring space added.....

pheran

Visit site
I managed to spot one of my previous boats in one of the pictures at Boulters. Taken in 1986 but I didn't buy her until 1993. Still around on the Thames under another name now, of course.

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
glad you enjoyed them - if anyone else comes across or even has some of their own old pictures, then get them posted.

I have to say, that as someone who is about to start out on the river for the first time, that seeing the pictures of all the boats crammed into boulters lock, with all the crowds watching, is very daunting and scary!

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
To be fair thats prob the most scary lock and its only ever that busy in the summer (well with people).

Its even more scary at 4 in the morning with the chamber empty now that is scary especially if you dont like the dark....

rr_123

Visit site
I must admit it never really occured to me to take a camera on the boat in the 80s and 90s, food and booze yes, camera no, but looking at your pics just made me want to get out there, and now my phone is a camera ... will be snapping away this year (c:

(actually, I used to ban mobile phones on my boats...)

Locks aren't really that scary, take it slowly and remember that no-one is perfect, wind and currents can scupper the best approaches, just make sure you're not going too fast, and do your best to correct the situation without getting cross /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
My first "own boat" encounter with Boulters was in a Norman Conquest at about 20:30 one evening, working it ourselves with the girl who is now SWMBO and two small children. Huge lock, tiny boat and weary folk who gladly moored up just afterwards.

jaws

Visit site
Re: scary locks!

Try getting into one of the Tidal marina locks like South Dock or St Kats on a windy day with a strong tide. The non-tidal locks seem like a doddle then.

Phill

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I have to say, that as someone who is about to start out on the river for the first time, that seeing the pictures of all the boats crammed into Boulters lock, with all the crowds watching, is very daunting and scary!

[/ QUOTE ]

You wait...
I remember when we had our first boat, a Freeman 22 in 1988, we left Bray marina and headed through Bray lock (our first ever) without event.
When we got to Boulters and I saw the crowds gathered, I was dreading it. Got in though,without any trouble, and then felt so proud to be on our own boat. It was and still is a great feeling.
Thats not to say we don't make mistakes. We do but thats all part of the fun.
Been following your posts for a while now and many congratulations on boat ownership. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

See you about.
Phill

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
thanks for the tips and advice. Look forward to meeting up with fellow posters once we are on the water.
I will try and post some pictures after friday, as I am going to the survey

ianc1200

Visit site
I remember my dad wouldn't take Straight Across out Saturday mornings/early afternoon; too easily would get damaged. Instead used to go and watch the new hirers arriving at their first locks. Don't get entertainment like that now, some of the hirers handle the boats better than the private ones.

IanC

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: scary locks!

[ QUOTE ]
Not Boulters , but I came across some old photos of Teddington Lock and the surrounding area , dating back to the 1870's .

They are part of the National Monument Record and held by English heritage .

You can view them on the Teddington Lock site , by clicking on the link below ... hope you like them ..

http://www.teddington-lock.co.uk/page_1172510678437.html

[/ QUOTE ]
The picture of The Anglers I extracted from the web some time ago and forwarded a copy to Mike Windsor (now aged 76) who used to be the Landlord there. Prior to that he was the Landlord of the Bugle on the Hamble. He is a great guy and a dear friend of mine, he and his wife regularly contact me, they now live in Devon obviously retired.

teddington_lock

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Instead used to go and watch the new hirers arriving at their first locks. Don't get entertainment like that now, some of the hirers handle the boats better than the private ones.

IanC

[/ QUOTE ]

Get yourself down to Romney Lock for 9 am on a summer sunday ....

All the little red and white dayboats come out of Kris Cruisers and are waiting on the tail layby for the lock to open , Romney's a nice big deep lock ...... carnage ensues !!

Great fun !! Many a cheery day spent there as a relief ... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

teddington_lock

Visit site
There are some lovely old photos of the locks in the book by Graham Diprose ' The River Thames Revisited - In the footsteps of Henry Taunt ' ....

Basically , he managed ( where possible ) to get his camera set up in exactly the same place as HT did years ago , and the pictures are displayed side by side , to show the differences ...

http://www.henrytaunt-footsteps.co.uk/book.htm

There is one of OWL in there , but it is obviously from the 1800's , and obviously a modern one with the current lock-keeper ..

A good book though .... very interesting .

You could always ask the lock keeper at OW if he has any old pictures , he may well do ...

Other threads that may be of interest