Soltron and Molyslip

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Picked up the soltron from Christchurch this afternoon, put some in the car 3l diesel, rest goes in the boat this weekend.
Car seems to smoke less, but that could be the new air filter. Still sounds and looks the same, regards fuel consumption too early to tell, only 100 miles down the road.

Byron, what is Molyslip? I think I've heard of it but what is it supposed to do? If I use it with soltron will the police prosecute me for leaving a surplus fuel trail behind? And what about when at sea or on the river, will I need to fit bigger tanks?

Kayfor, where I bought the solly from was not quite what I expected - it's a model shop!! Chap I spoke to certainly knows his boat engines, told him the make of mine and hp, and he came straight back with the model, not bad considering it's a 20 year old engine! I was impressed. He also swears by soltron, started off using it himself and was so impressed he took on the agency. As the boat engine is quite smokey will be very interested to see if it makes it less so.

Will report back if and when things improve.
LJS

Geoffs

Visit site
Certainly interesting people and place at Christchurch, innit.

From my visit, I gather the father runs the Kayfor Environmental outfit and deals in solar energy, as well as flogging Solly. His son runs the model business, sharing the site. I got shown round their workshops where they build electric motors for model aircraft, 50,000rpm and NiCd battery packs for 'em, all with computer testing euipment for battery packs & motors. Great stuff.

Spoke to the bloke for over half hour, never did get his name. He must be wondering why his sales have suddenly taken off, yourself, jfm, me and who knows who else! That's 90 quid.!

Good luck with your Soltron. It has certainly boosted the performance of my diesel car, but not done much for economy. I have measured a fuel economy improvement on my petrol boat.

ToMo

Just outside Budapest or In the Med (Corfu)
Visit site
Excuse me cutting in, Molyslip is molybdenum disulphide based grease/lubricant used in high pressure/heat/speed applications, the base ingrediant was originally discovered by a Czech engineer at the end of the 19 century AND DOES WHAT IT SAYS on the lable....know so much because I used to export the stuff by the ton....licenses now owned by Molyslip Atlantic Ltd - thats yer lot, now ask me about WD40!

G

Ooh you're obviously more of a youngster than I thought. Could have sworn you were an old git.

Molyslip is one of those magic cure alls from the 60's. Put it in your engine and gearbox oil and it cured everything. Supposedly increased the, (and now I'm going to get all highly technical), slipperyness of the oil, and hence caused less friction, hence less wear, hence better fuel economy. Come to think of it similar claims to solly. My Dad (and he's 87 now) wouldn't do an oil change in his Ford Prefect (remeber them? and no nothing to do with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy), without adding it. Used to flog bottles of the stuff to all and sundry.

Still uses it today in his high tec Zetec engine Fiesta. I think he had a "contact" in the East End of London back in the early 70's and bought boxes of the stuff and whenever he has his car serviced, even today, out comes a bottle from some secret place and I have to add it to the oil. He swears by it. To be fair he's never had any engine problems or anything go wrong. Mind you he does about 5,000 miles a year and changes his car when it's 3 years old, so that could have something to do with it.

ccscott49

Visit site
Longjohn, where can I get this stuff, I'm coming over to the UK in the next three weeks and would like to carry some back to Portugal for my boat, 2xmermaid six, naturally aspir. 135 HP, Mine have always smoked from new on startup! from what I've been hearing, this maight be worth a try to keep the fuel system in good nick. Thanks for any help, If its any help, you do NOT put molyslip in your fuel! Its ground moly.....sulhide and fills the slight roughness in the metal to metal bearings or rather metal to oil to metal! and reduces friction, so you add it to your lube oil, used it for years building racing/rallying engines excellent stuff!

byron

RIP
Visit site
Tomo has told you all I know about Molyslip. I can only tell you that it improved the consumption on my previous boat by 16% and gave me another knot. I was first put on to it by Andy who swears by it. It must *NEVER* be used in new engines as the engine will never run in. I have no figures on my new (2nd hand) boat as it was added to the oil the moment I got it. Consequently I have no figures to compare against. They sell it in most auto-stores in soppy little bottles so I ordered mine direct from Molyslip and bought a gallon which is probably a lifetime supply as one only adds 3-5% to the oil, mind you Andy immediately swiped two litres.

©2001
www.education-jobs.co.uk
www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I bought it from a place called Kayfor, Stony Lane, Christchurch tel 01202 476902. I have also seen it in the Channel Islands where it's also cheaper. Sods law says the weather will settle down over next few days in which case may well go over there. Ah well, it will give me chance to see if the solly performs as expected!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Byron, presumably this is much the same stuff as Slick oil additive? If you.ve had good results with the Molyslip it sounds as though I'll have to get some of that as well. Only changed the oil yesterday, at this rate I'll be one of the lubrication industries best customers!
Do you have a phone no. Thanks.
LJS

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by longjohnsilver on Thu Oct 25 22:50:51 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Soltron and Molyslip and Millers!!

But, But! I said weeks ago, Use Millers Diesel Clean.
Its just the same as tothers, not much result but just enough to get yourself interested and at about half or maybe double the price!! Anyway my car mechanic swears by it and charges me acordingly.

Haydn

BarryD

Visit site
Owning a number of "classic" cars I've tried Molyslip with little effect - however there is a product called Activ8 available via the web which claims similiar effects - which I can say does work. My Stag (never one of Britians great engines) was starting to suffer low oil pressure and a slight rattle. One application and its smoother running and the oil pressure is back to where it shoud be.

Barry D.

jfm

Visit site
Molyslip and warranties

My Soltron arrived from Kayfor so I can vouch for their quick despatch. It smells potent, like top grade ouzo with a bit of paraffin. I was tempted to add a twist of lime and drink a few shots hic. I'm doing a longish term test (say 8 tankfuls of diesel in the car) so will report back later.

I used to use molysip in older engines years ago. These days I'm reluctant to use it, maybe I'm wimping out but I tend to follow manufacturer advice to use a serious synthetic like Castrol Formula RS or Mobil 1, and not muck about further in case anything goes wrong and non-manufacturer-blessed additives muck up a warranty claim. 3 years ago I had a BMW M-car and the crankshaft bearings failed at 6months/7,500 miles. The spare part (a full engine, they didn't deal in shorts) was £8k. They lent me a car and took the duff one away for much testing and analysis and finally replaced engine under warranty, but I knew from what they said that they were looking to see if I had not followed the instructions in any way. By coincidence I was at same dealer yesterday as they listened with stethoscopes to a suspected little end bearing failure in my current car, it's 6 months old and 13k miles, replacement V8 engine probably £££. Much as I like Molyslip, I like my warranty even more, so I'm glad I'm not using it. It's a shame really, I wouldn't say a bad word about Molyslip but these days with ever more complex and expensive kit it's praps safer to follow the instruction book and not use it??

ToMo

Just outside Budapest or In the Med (Corfu)
Visit site
Re: Go on Tomo, tell us about WD40.......nm

Actually originally commissioned by the predessor of NASA as a none petrochem lubricant...the original was made from certain tree resins and wood spirit, are but the wicked comercial world jumped in and now its nothing like its original form...but having said that, its still good for a number of things, encluding getting rid of painful corns - NO I'm not joking! want any more ? e-mail or ICQ me

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Molyslip and warranties

Totally agree! wouldnt use molyslip in a new car, engineering has advanced somewhat! But after the warranty period?