Solent Visitor Mooring Customer Service

Dutch01527

Visit site
I have sailed on other peoples boats in the Solent for years but only this summer have I sailed skipper.

I am at a loss to understand the attitude of many of the harbours / marinas. Cowes Yacht Haven, Shepard’s , Yarmouth and others limit the number of pre bookings they will accept and say turn up and we will fit you in if we can. What use is that? What are you supposed to do when you arrive at 6.00pm if they say no. Last night Cowes Yacht Harbour said that they had space at 4.00pm and I asked to book it and said that we would arrive at 4.30. They agreed. When we arrived on time there was no space and they said sorry, someone got in before you. We are then left floating about in the river trying to call other locations to get a berth. We got a place at Folly eventually but only after a lot of stress.

Why not do as Lymington harbour do, take bookings and ask for payment to confirm long before arrival. Imagine a hotel, restaurant, theatre ect that would not let you book but said turn up, call us 10 minutes before arrival and we may let you in or we may send you away. They would go out of business very quickly.

Staggering lack of customer service and arrogance.

Tranona

Visit site
Sadly demand exceeds supply on many days and even booking in advance does not always work as many people may not turn up so forfeit their payment and marina then lets the berth to somebody else, Weather and tide can alter peoples' plans and they don't turn up or people on berths change their minds and decide to stay.

So whatever system is used somebody will lose out and others gain and berths are finite - once they are occupied supply cannot be increased even though demand is there. Despite what you may think restaurants have exactly the same problem.

PhillM

Visit site
The old system of “turn up and we will fit you in” used to work fine and when occasionally it didnt, there was usually some form of alternative, be that a mooring buoy or anchorage,

This move to book and pay in advance is really rubbish for smaller sail boats. we only ever set out ‘towards‘ knowing full well that there is a lowish chance of actually getting there on the day we had in mind. Having to book and pay up-front and then losing your money because you don’t make it, makes no sense to me.

I do see why the marinas love it mind. They must be increasing takings without needing to increase capacity. However, I don’t see it lasting forever. Pls COVID times when International travel returns to normal will see a drop in demand for marina berths.

lustyd

Visit site
Having had a small boat I completely disagree. Beating to wind for 4-5 hours not knowing if there’s a berth waiting is one reason I didn’t go many places. In the bigger boat I’m less tired on arrival and can easily change plans. It’s still frustrating but it’s not dangerous.

matt1

Visit site
West Country is similar. Bookings not being taken.

I think it’s just as Tranona said; “supply & demand”. I’ve only been able to book 2 marinas in the Solent this summer.

I’m hoping it’s just a temporary situation with Covid and Brexit changes putting people off going to the continent leading to less berths becoming free on S Coast. Let’s hope next season is better

Somebody smarter than me should come up with an app like some of the hotel booking sites

Dutch01527

Visit site
I want to book and pay in advance so that I know that I have a berth. If I do not make it for whatever reason, my fault and problem. I have lost the money.

Yarmouth told me a couple of weeks ago “ we do not pre book most berths. I would advise getting here early afternoon and we will see what we can do”. That means to me - losing half a days sailing and risk turning up and then being turned away.

lustyd

Visit site
Of course there is also the knock on problem that if you can't be sure of a berth at destination, you can't book a restaurant at the destination. In recent times that has meant there was nowhere to eat out as all tables have been fully booked. If I'm going to have to cook and eat on board I may as well anchor!

There's also been a worrying knock on with people not informing home marinas they will be out for the night because they don't know if they will be out for the night until they get a berth. That means there are way fewer available berths despite many empty berths

Turnnidge

Visit site
I want to book and pay in advance so that I know that I have a berth. If I do not make it for whatever reason, my fault and problem. I have lost the money.
That is fine, if you call and cancel your berth in good time, if not, the marina will not re-sell it as they are expecting you. On talking to several marina staff around the Solent this week many people are booking 3 or 4 marinas in advance then going to the one that suits at the time, then not canceling the others. For me it is taking a lot of the joy out of sailing.

lustyd

Visit site
Sailing with the family I don't mind booking and paying in advance to save a spot. It's a risk prepared to take to ensure less family stress.
Completely agree, I've always been in favour of booking in advance and risking losing money. There are simply too many boats to risk just turning up and hoping these days, with the exception of Yarmouth where they can safely fill the harbour right back to the entrance!

lustyd

Visit site
That is fine, if you call and cancel your berth in good time, if not, the marina will not re-sell it as they are expecting you. On talking to several marina staff around the Solent this week many people are booking 3 or 4 marinas in advance then going to the one that suits at the time, then not canceling the others. For me it is taking a lot of the joy out of sailing.
That's only a problem if they aren't taking full payment in advance. I guarantee you that nobody at all is booking four marinas and paying for all of them but cancelling three. I actually doubt many are genuinely cancelling either, based on what I see in marinas. In very bad weather maybe, but then you'd be quite safe just turning up in foul weather and expecting a berth.

Visit site
I prefer to just turn up on the day. Pre-booking (especially if they want payment in advance) is a pain and takes the flexibility out of sailing, I am not rich enough to pay up to £50 for a berth and not use it, and I dont want to to be forced to get to some where if the weather / tides are not on my side on the day. On all but the busiest days the turn up on the day system works well. Cowes is a good example, if you see space at the Yacht Haven great, if not motor up to Shephard's, then East Cowes, then the river moorings, then Folly, then Island harbour (if tides allow), except cowes week I have always got a space. Beaulie you always have space on the buoys if no space on pontoons. Yarmouth again normally a buoy free if the marina is full.

If pre-booking is essential for logistics (restaurant booking, crew pick up ect), then pick a marina which does offer pre-booking (such as Lymington, Beaulie, Port Hamble, Port Solent, Bembridge, ect).

Its nice to have flexible options on the day to suit weather, tides and crew and would be a shame if we had to pre-book everything in advance.

lustyd

Visit site
Whatever happened to anchors, dinghies and Fray Bentos pies?
All still fine. But not the same as a marina, eating out and facilities. These are two different activities which I don't consider to be interchangeable

ashtead

Visit site
I am sure there is a guide book in this whole topic. Many wiser heads on here than mine but problem is caused by a lack of any real clearing system . So first you have to know form in the intended destination so in say Lymington if the scramble on town quay is not for you or you feel too long to join shorter brethren then you need a booking in Yacht haven,berthon or the Dan B mooring. At berthon and yacht haven they have limited visitors but rely on slotting you in to residents berths so you might as we did a few weeks ago end up on a lovely 15m berthon pontoon amongst the larger mobo and Hallberg/spirit yachts or at yacht haven looking out across the Solent but spaces only become available if others are going out hence waiting lists. Yarmouth to my mind is to risky but if you book way in advance and pays up front then you can secure a location . Don’t be fooled into taking one of their over priced buoys though in hope of gaining admission to the inner sanctum Sanctorum -often left stranded- the trouble with Yarmouth I suspect is some book,pay up their 100 squid and then don’t turn up.

At Portsmouth and Soton far more choice so yo can often find something on morning of travel eg Haslar or at ocean village . We see quite a few visitor yachts slotting on to our resident berths at Haslar as well as the Hurley burley beside the lightship of course or the hammerheads for serious types.

We generally find cowes doable somewhere as said but it’s not a real issue as Soton isn’t that far really . Beaulieu is more problematic -I’m not a great fan as little on arrival unless you are into walking and motor museums.

For Bembridge always book and pay up well in advance -it’s a lovely spot for say a four day stay and if at far end of the main pontoon the finger berths are good and the drying out issues of the former management plus poor facilities have been cured.

So if doing a week away pre booking is advisable but for a weekend stopover we tend to be more flexible and take pot luck.

Having been to West Country this year we were very happy with Brixham and Darthaven staff who were both accommodating but being fearful of what we might find in Dartmouth we did put in a banker at Brixham first as an alternate option. Portland for the first time was more challenging but to be fair they did accommodate usafter some negotiation but that’s down to covid rules I suspect plus a fleet of flexisail boats beng camped there.

DFL1010

Visit site
One thing to bear in mind though is that once in at a marina that doesn't take bookings, you won't be required to leave into grotty weather to make room for someone else who has booked your spot.

awol

Visit site
Not meant as criticism but I'm amazed that this is how the other half (or maybe even 90%) sail. Having purchased 40' of Benjenbav with multiple heads, refrigerators, memory foam double beds, probably Rocna anchor, etc., the biggest problem then appears to be where to tie it up overnight with access to toilet facilities and restaurants? And is it really £100 a night to do this?

• Haha
Reactions: Bru

ashtead

Visit site
As an aside the restaurant situation in most island venues is currently dire not just caused by false covid alerts but also a lack of good chefs. In Cowes Coast would be top choice, plus Murray’s and say a pub meal ,while along at East Cowes for when the chain ferry breaks down the lifeboat always seems a possibility.

I haven’t dined in Yarmouth this year but found pub grub is most likely possibility but always liked the hot rocks and the curious one with smuggling connections alledgely. Lymington has many choices but seem fully booked eg the haven or lanes but a good Indian can be had or the kings head. Avoid the ship for food at all costs. If all else fails there is a good Cook at top of town to feed a Hungary crew plus M&S food hall if the tacky Tesco’s doesn’t entice you in. The mayflower is passable but our favourite recently has been the fisherman’s rest as a pub grub place.

In Bembridge we are returning to Foxes after a number of years absence plus a trip to the reliable Ganders in St. Helens . The Duck at Ryde is apparently good but tables are rarer than hens teeth . The Seaview hotel has gone down this year so the old fort in Seaview is a much better bet . Don’t be tempted by the wishing well and it’s mermaid gin as an eatery but it’s quite fun for a drink etc. Moving along the coast the battery at puck pool after a promising opening a few years back has let its service and food fail miserably and caters to the day tripper clientele but not really Seaview folk. Happy eating around the rest of the island and if looking for more info there are some local critics Cat and Matt who give more insightful comments.

ashtead

Visit site
It’s about £50 something per night discounting any free nights you might get as part of whatever your marina offers . Clearly a better buy than £35 for a rolling buoy off Yarmouth. France is much cheaper in comparison but facilities can be poorer apart from their obligatory washing up room of course without which no French marina is complete.