Solent to Dartmouth

Dutch01527

Visit site
Not really brave. Engine is newish 35hp Beta marine, big for a 30 foot boat. . Tides were favourable. Autopilot was a bit of a risk given the boat is new to me but I trusted the previous owner when he said that it worked well and I had tested it from Fareham to Yarmouth.
I think that we may occasionally be too cautious. Sailors have been sailing long distances for 100’s of years. I am an ex Merchant Navy Officer so maybe used to long passages more than most.

Dutch01527

Visit site
Iq
There is a happily reducing population of rufty tufty I sail round the horn before breakfast sailors hereabouts. Best hand them a flagon of grog and wish them well. Sounds like a job well done to me.
I thought that it would be useful to the forum to outline an option for a very common passage. I left Yarmouth at 5.15 last Friday, hand steered through the Needles Channel, auto pilot thereafter direct to Dartmouth arriving at 18.00. All under motor. Nothing rufty tufts about it. English Channel in moderate conditions is hardly the horn. The tone of your posts suggest that you are questioning those facts . I still wonder what does not compute? Apologies if I has misunderstood your posts.

Yealm

Visit site
Iq

I thought that it would be useful to the forum to outline an option for a very common passage. I left Yarmouth at 5.15 last Friday, hand steered through the Needles Channel, auto pilot thereafter direct to Dartmouth arriving at 18.00. All under motor. Nothing rufty tufts about it. English Channel in moderate conditions is hardly the horn. The tone of your posts suggest that you are questioning those facts . I still wonder what does not compute? Apologies if I has misunderstood your posts.
Wow in Feb- must have been chilly !
I've done the same journey in other direction motorsailing in a 27' in a day. But in Summer and lucky with tides.
First pint in Yarmouth tasted very good :)

Last edited:

stranded

Visit site
Iq

The rufty tufty comment was in relation to the poster who implied that choosing to motor rather than sail was an odd decision - seems like yours was an eminently sensible choice to me. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Most important for a single handed sailor is to not make mistakes .
Tiredness kills through mistakes
( last time I went Pompey to Dart was out on the flood , at midday, light winds and assymetric down the Solent , stopped near Portland on a foul flood tide, so on with the donk and top up batteries too, then across Lyme in a rising SW, one reef in, nice, very nice, sleeping in cockpit @20minutes with egg timer ( inshore fishing boats about), in to the Dart at first light. Bit tired but not tired , no mistakes.. )

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
I motored all the way using the autopilot. Wind was on the nose so sailing was not a viable option if I was going to make it in daylight.

Frank - I am on the visitors pontoon at Kingswear now. I agree it is a good marina and winter rate is £17/night for a 10m boat including electricity - bargain!!
Anhinga is on the hard, in the southernmost line. Expect to go back in the water 4th March plus or minus a day or do. Then on S side of southernmost pontoon. Look out for us.

PhillM

Visit site
Great to hear about your passage. Solo and in one day is a great way to do it. Have done so a few times in a 24 footer. All credit to you .. but I disagree that "stopping is @more fun". I ve often thorght that the fun starts after arriving at Dartmouth :)

Dutch01527

Visit site
Great to hear about your passage. Solo and in one day is a great way to do it. Have done so a few times in a 24 footer. All credit to you .. but I disagree that "stopping is @more fun". I ve often thorght that the fun starts after arriving at Dartmouth :)
Agreed, Dartmouth and Kingswear were very enjoyable . I also found it a lot less stressful not having to go into Portland and leave early morning going around the Bill in the dark.

Dutch01527

Visit site
It is a concern. I have a new oversized multiplait mooring strop and a 8mm chain as backup. All canvas has been removed or well secured but there are still a lot of unknowns.

Dutch01527

Visit site
All good. I could not get to the boat to check because water taxi was not operating. However the very helpful duty harbour master did a drive by and confirmed that all looked well.

I was confident that the mooring strops/chain were safe but other things like cleats, furler, stackpack protections were untested by me. The position of the boat on the river opposite Noss Marina is vulnerable to SW winds which whistle down Old Mill Creek I am told.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
All good. I could not get to the boat to check because water taxi was not operating. However the very helpful duty harbour master did a drive by and confirmed that all looked well.

I was confident that the mooring strops/chain were safe but other things like cleats, furler, stackpack protections were untested by me. The position of the boat on the river opposite Noss Marina is vulnerable to SW winds which whistle down Old Mill Creek I am told.
Good. I was a bit concerned for you. In Darthaven, the W wind comes over the hill and splashes down right on the marina. It can be a bit hairy but the staff, including John Holman himself, are good at walking round before a storm and checking lines, tightening up loose jobs etc. Actually, the worse there is a strong SE bringing a surge up river near HW. When we leave the boat there in spring and autumn, I double up on lines.

Visit site
Iq

Chill man! I don't think anyone is questioning it.