Solar bimini

Benzerello

Visit site
Hi there all.. Im new and am currently setting up an old macwester 27 to liveaboard.... Small i know..me and the wife will see how this pans out.... The reason for the post is i am going to install 2 x 2m long 20kg solar panels this will give me 700w of power which i will couple with 2x 175ah agm batteries which weigh 100 kg approx between them... I am considdering bimini style frame at the rear of the boat with both panels set longways across the boat... The rear panel will fold down when stationary but fold up and flat when sailing.. Can anyone tell me if these weights and positioning will be ok on the boat... Tha batteries i will mound inside lockers in cockpit 1 either side bolted on mounts on the inner wall of the locker in exactly the same place.... Input would be appreciates... Thankyou in advance P

Kelpie

Visit site
There's no hard and fast answer. That sort of weight is not going to cause the boat to instantly capsize. But it seems an awful lot for that size of boat.

How do you plan to use the boat? The kind of conditions you encounter will set a limit on what your bimini will withstand.

grumpygit

Visit site
Why do you want to mount them lengthwise across the boat? Depending on length of boom it may cast shadow over both of them whereas if mounted fore & aft, one should clear.

Not only the boom as that is moveable but backstays and lazy jacks can cast enough of a shadow to kill most of the charge. I had 2 x 1.24m x 0.57m flexible panels on the bimini and two solid across the stern, all with mixed results.

geem

Visit site
Hi there all.. Im new and am currently setting up an old macwester 27 to liveaboard.... Small i know..me and the wife will see how this pans out.... The reason for the post is i am going to install 2 x 2m long 20kg solar panels this will give me 700w of power which i will couple with 2x 175ah agm batteries which weigh 100 kg approx between them... I am considdering bimini style frame at the rear of the boat with both panels set longways across the boat... The rear panel will fold down when stationary but fold up and flat when sailing.. Can anyone tell me if these weights and positioning will be ok on the boat... Tha batteries i will mound inside lockers in cockpit 1 either side bolted on mounts on the inner wall of the locker in exactly the same place.... Input would be appreciates... Thankyou in advance P
That seems like a hell of a weight for a Mac 27. We have 720w of solar on the guardwires but we are a 18t 44ft monohull. Since a Mac only weighs about 3t it seems a little over the top

KeelsonGraham

Visit site
Not only the boom as that is moveable but backstays and lazy jacks can cast enough of a shadow to kill most of the charge. I had 2 x 1.24m x 0.57m flexible panels on the bimini and two solid across the stern, all with mixed results.

I think the most modern panels aren’t nearly as badly affected (if at all) by minor eclipsing from stays etc.

grumpygit

Visit site
I think the most modern panels aren’t nearly as badly affected (if at all) by minor eclipsing from stays etc.

You may well be correct, it's been a few years ago since I purchased any new panels. There is enough on YouTube that is worth a visit on the mounting, series or parallel and shading. Try to choose you positioning well (this can't always be achieved) and then it's down to management and of course the sun;)

V1701

Visit site
Need to know more about where are you going to be based and how the boat will be used to give a more informed reply. FWIW I had a boat in Greece for a few years and one 80w panel was sufficient to keep batteries topped up, even running a fridge so you might not need so much solar. If you could find a way of having the batteries in the middle of the boat and low down (under saloon bunks, one on each side?) that would help hugely with the weight distribution...

newtothis

Visit site
I guess the grand Solent might be a tad longer than mac27 mentioned but maybe not powerful enough as that looks suspiciously like a yellow genset on the seat?
I'm guessing it will need a lot of power for the auto-helm, given it doesn't seem to have a steering wheel.

Barbaria

Visit site
Well he did some grinding with a 220v grinder hence the genset. I think it was 2x400w panels he had, works great as sun and rain shade as well. Steering wheel was taken off and mounted under the panels. I am 1.80 and could stand upright under the panels. Much smarter solution that the stupid targas you see your there.