SOL leg 5 - Watch out at the start!

sarabande

Visit site
I was doing heroic things with the course adjustment, when the whole prog went blank and reverted to my browser home page.

Back up, now.

sereda

Visit site
You dont need to get into it Alistair, the course your on will soon have you into a BIG YBW lead. Well done.

Alistairr

Visit site
Thanks, but that doesn't stand for anything, think it was the last leg or one before I led overall for a while and finished dreadfully.
There's still plenty of time for me to mess this one up as well.:rolleyes:

Its working again for me now. Cheers

Al.

sarabande

Visit site
still not loading for me :mad: 108 Coooo !

IIRC I set a TWA course so any moment now will start going round and round and round GRRRR.

thanks for the headsup.

Dipper

Visit site
still not loading for me :mad: 108 Coooo !

IIRC I set a TWA course so any moment now will start going round and round and round GRRRR.

thanks for the headsup.

In the past they advised clearing your cache if you had trouble loading. It's worked for me before.

sarabande

Visit site
used CCleaner, and this skipper is back at the helm. Tks.

Incidentally, how does a New Zealander on exactly same course manage to go faster than me ? I bet he has made half the crew walk home now that they are on the downwind leg...

sereda

Visit site
used CCleaner, and this skipper is back at the helm. Tks.

Incidentally, how does a New Zealander on exactly same course manage to go faster than me ? I bet he has made half the crew walk home now that they are on the downwind leg...

I too sometimes wonder how certain boats go faster. In the last 12 hrs I have gone 60 miles in 2 or 3 k winds. Increasing wind speed was directly in front. A certain boat was 1 mile away on port side, he is now 45 miles in front of me even though we have gone exactly the same way. 3 other boats are still in the same positions around me all on the same course. Wish I could figure it out. Guess theyve drunk and eaten everything whilst stuck in theses never ending doldrums whereas I am conserving it as I think I may be here forever. :)

Spyro

Visit site
I too sometimes wonder how certain boats go faster. In the last 12 hrs I have gone 60 miles in 2 or 3 k winds. Increasing wind speed was directly in front. A certain boat was 1 mile away on port side, he is now 45 miles in front of me even though we have gone exactly the same way. 3 other boats are still in the same positions around me all on the same course. Wish I could figure it out. Guess theyve drunk and eaten everything whilst stuck in theses never ending doldrums whereas I am conserving it as I think I may be here forever. :)

It is possible he had a slightly different wind speed and angle and and as you say increasing wind wad dead ahead if he gets slightly in front his lead will keep increasing as he gets more wind first. Even a tenth of a knot faster is over 2 miles in a day.
I've also seen it where someone on a twa can pull ahead of someone on a cc even if there is only a few degrees of change in the wind.

sereda

Visit site
Alistair, as you managed to get out of the doldrums into the 5 and 7 k winds we were in the 3k winds you were 120 miles in front heading North and yet he caught you up and overtook you in less than 18 hrs, must have a bigger engine I guess. I know and understand how only a couple of miles separation can make a big difference but he never in those 12 hrs came out of 3knot winds yet he averaged over 8miles an hour, that is just not possible with the polar.
Maybe its time to go for a swim and give my bottom a clean. Or maybe he has one of those plutonium lightweight anchors and chain. Now theres a thought can any forumite advise what anchor is best for a virtual round the world race :D and are there any areas I should avoid deploying said anchor so as to minimise harm to virtual sea-horses.

Alistairr

Visit site
Alistair, as you managed to get out of the doldrums into the 5 and 7 k winds we were in the 3k winds you were 120 miles in front heading North and yet he caught you up and overtook you in less than 18 hrs, must have a bigger engine I guess. I know and understand how only a couple of miles separation can make a big difference but he never in those 12 hrs came out of 3knot winds yet he averaged over 8miles an hour, that is just not possible with the polar.
Maybe its time to go for a swim and give my bottom a clean. Or maybe he has one of those plutonium lightweight anchors and chain. Now theres a thought can any forumite advise what anchor is best for a virtual round the world race :D and are there any areas I should avoid deploying said anchor so as to minimise harm to virtual sea-horses.

Exactly what boat are we talking about here?
You are YBWLopud, right?

Cheers
Al.
P.S. YBW_Trev, think its time you and Sara stopped for a tea break or something!!;)