SOL 3rd leg

Martin_J

Visit site
I wish I'd sailed Corinthian... I just think that this length of time sailing solo would be just too nerve wracking... too nerve wracking by far!

You mentioned 71... I didn't realise I was just to the north of them... I have been out all evening and just got back to see my wiggly DC line for the last few hours which has led me to where I am.. Time to think about that low before a good nights sleep.... and then think about what angle we'll be on the wind for the next 1000 miles.. then NZ.. what flukey weather..

Safe sailing.. MJM

Dipper

Visit site
It looks a long way round to the finish whichever way I go. I think I'm stuck with the west coast and several sleepless nights. I might have to get up to go to the loo quite a lot. ;)

Now, where can I hide the laptop.

Martin_J

Visit site
I've been undecided about East or West of NZ for a while now.. it's costing me places as I make my mind up...

Two hours until the next weather update...

sarabande

Visit site
I'm still a few hours away from a critical decision point, but is it worth a gamble with the WX in say 24 - 30 hours time ? Would it allow a W coast course to creep up and gain on head winds from the E coast venturers.

Heads...

Tails....

trevorr

Visit site
I'm still a few hours away from a critical decision point, but is it worth a gamble with the WX in say 24 - 30 hours time ? Would it allow a W coast course to creep up and gain on head winds from the E coast venturers.

Heads...

Tails....

I certainly hope so !!

Dipper

Visit site
My thinking is that there is no point following the leaders if you are too far behind. It's much better to try something different and hope for a bit of luck.

I bet I arrive at the Cook Strait around midnight and have to stay up all night tacking my way through.

sereda

Visit site
Wow 250 miles between positions 32,33,34. My moneys on Skidaddler

Lopud 551, MJM 556, and Skidaddler 557 to go.

and Trev lurking far North waiting to surprise us all

sereda

Visit site
It looks a long way round to the finish whichever way I go. I think I'm stuck with the west coast and several sleepless nights. I might have to get up to go to the loo quite a lot. ;)

Now, where can I hide the laptop.

As in a popular thread in the lounge at the moment, you should have come out as a Sol to your wife before marriage, it really isn't fair on her to find out now.
The government may make an announcement in the near future allowing sols to marry in churches so all is not lost. In the meantime I suggest you keep your grubby little laptop well hidden, but easily reached on regular night time visits to the loo. And remember you are not alone in your secret addiction.

sarabande

Visit site
thanks to advice from oGaryo and other fisherman, I may invest in a Carp Fishing camp bed in the office when I get to the N of S island. :D

sereda

Visit site
Wow 250 miles between positions 32,33,34. My moneys on Skidaddler

Lopud 551, MJM 556, and Skidaddler 557 to go.

and Trev lurking far North waiting to surprise us all

OOPs sorry didnt see Dipper up there either waiting to sneak through on the Western side unnoticed

sarabande

Visit site
If anyone wants some sunshine and calm to catch up on boat maintenance and clothes washing, I can help :mad:

It's going to be a drag for the next day or two. Hey ho; time to admire the NZ coastline maybe.

sereda

Visit site
I think Lopud might be cheating

"ybwlopud 10:53: ouch dam wx. Did have about 46 hrs to finish now 60hrs."

Router??:)

No router, looked at them all about a year ago and unless you pay about £80 they are not worth having due to different polars or different wx. I look ahead hour by hour with the measuring tool approximately for the 12 hours ahead and 6 hour approximate measures for 48 hours ahead every 2 or 3 wx updates.
But am finding anything over 24 hours a bit unreliable as wx often changes so much. I think there has only been brainaid who got consistent results with routing software.
How far ahead does everyone else plan?

Spyro

Visit site
No router, looked at them all about a year ago and unless you pay about £80 they are not worth having due to different polars or different wx. I look ahead hour by hour with the measuring tool approximately for the 12 hours ahead and 6 hour approximate measures for 48 hours ahead every 2 or 3 wx updates.
But am finding anything over 24 hours a bit unreliable as wx often changes so much. I think there has only been brainaid who got consistent results with routing software.
How far ahead does everyone else plan?

Apoloies Lopud. I thought with that accuracy you must have been using something.