Sod.

burgundyben

Visit site
For whatever reason I made a complete mess of the final coat on my topsides last night. Will have wait a few days, then wet flat and try again.

Sod. Sod. Sod.

tillergirl

Visit site
For whatever reason I made a complete mess of the final coat on my topsides last night. Will have wait a few days, then wet flat and try again.

Sod. Sod. Sod.

Very restrained. Last time I did that I had a strop for close on three weeks. The really annoying thing is when you speak to the paint manufacturers, it always turns out to be the customer's fault.

Still, think of the extra 'depth' to the finish you will have this year.

burgundyben

Visit site
I think I know what happend. New kettle of bigger diameter, so my usual measure amount of thinners was in fact a lower amount by proportion, hence paint to thick it didn;t lay off properly.

How much thinners do people use on the final coat? 10%? 20%? 30%?

sideshowbob

Visit site
Know exactly how you feel. Just had a disaster with varnishing the transom. Will need to cook it in the sun and then redo afloat with the boat moored stern to in her berth.

Will be more concerned about getting the boat stern to into the berth than re doing the varnishing.

PlankWalker

Visit site
How much thinners do people use on the final coat? 10%? 20%? 30%?[/QUOTE]

I would have thought in this neck of the woods, 10% would be absolute maximum

tillergirl

Visit site
I think I know what happend. New kettle of bigger diameter, so my usual measure amount of thinners was in fact a lower amount by proportion, hence paint to thick it didn;t lay off properly.

How much thinners do people use on the final coat? 10%? 20%? 30%?

I always use Owatrol since a 'orrible day with the last time I used Hempel's enamel. Prolongs the wet edge, prolongs laying off and in some bizarre way does not increase sagging, grinning or running. You get still get runs but they (with me) have always been operator error. How much Owatrol? Impossible. I just get it to feel right.

PhillM

Visit site
I tend to use about 10% mixed in - but i'm not as accurate as perhaps I should be.

When you say that you made a mess, do you mean that it didn't quote look as great close up as you wanted? Remember paint is there to protect, its nice when its perfect, but it never stays that way for long.

I ask because I used to get wound up about the odd blemish, or even the odd mark, but then I realised that often all I was doing was enhancing the view for the fishes. Nobody ever gets as close to my topsides or looks from the same perspective as we do when painting.

Now I either take a ladder about 3 meters away and then climb to the top, or if other boats are close, as for permission to go aboard, and see what the job likes like from there. If it looks OK from there, its ok :)

Anyway, its only going to last a season. So, relax and go sailing, next year will be here soon enough.

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk

Sod. Sod. Sod.

Commiserations. I just had the same result on Sunday with a primer/topcoat clash. Now waiting for it to harden up enough and redo. I have to say though that SML Paints (ex-Shepherd Marine) couldn't have been more helpful in sorting it out.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Commiserations. I just had the same result on Sunday with a primer/topcoat clash. Now waiting for it to harden up enough and redo. I have to say though that SML Paints (ex-Shepherd Marine) couldn't have been more helpful in sorting it out.

And you, dear boy, are a serious academic chemist!

There is hope for the rest of us.

Oh, another vote for Owatrol. No idea how I managed without it.

No.1 son was putting the gloss on his IC when a friend called and off they went to the pub leaving Dad with the paintbrush; I think I have got away with it.

burgundyben

Visit site
And you, dear boy, are a serious academic chemist!

There is hope for the rest of us.

Oh, another vote for Owatrol. No idea how I managed without it.

No.1 son was putting the gloss on his IC when a friend called and off they went to the pub leaving Dad with the paintbrush; I think I have got away with it.

Its odd, I tired Owatrol and could tell the difference.

I've admitted defeat, an old chum is a proper old school coach painter, he's coming to help.

Kukri

Visit site
Its odd, I tired Owatrol and could tell the difference.

I've admitted defeat, an old chum is a proper old school coach painter, he's coming to help.

I think that in my pre-Owatrol days I used to do the topsides gloss very soon after breakfast, when the dew was off and before there was any heat in the day, having rubbed down the night before.

Sniper

Visit site
Owatrol is so good that I have been applying topcoats in direct sunlight over the past few days. Not ideal, but impossible without the magic oil.

Kukri

Visit site
Owatrol advert: One International Canoe, International Squall Blue enamel, done today during the lunch break, in direct sunlight:

photo_zps832d9550.jpg

IC16514_zps87a42dd8.jpg

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
I have to ask, as down here painting is almost impossible from June till Sept and I have to paint during this period...
What type of paint are we talking about? Two pack, polyurethene, what?
I wonder if I can use this magic thinner on my chosen sikkens truck paint I'm planing to use. No awlgrip this year, just get her going and sand/repaint properly next year.

cheers

V.

burgundyben

Visit site
We did it yesterday morning. I now have results that I am happy with. My old chum that's a coach painter says that Toplac is horrible to use.

I haven't tried the paint conditioner from Owatrol, maybe I'll give it a go.

I do use the Owatrol Deks Olje D2 in my cockpit on the sole boards and like it very much.