Socks

justanothersailboat

Visit site
I'm almost sure they're available under cheaper names, but still: I must put in a word for Arthur Beale's Arctic Seaboot Socks, which are more or less just sheep for your feet. After a week or so they smell markedly of sheep, but not yet of feet. Not like cotton socks which are (on me at least) pretty bad after one day.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Gsailor #20, I do have a pair of mittens, but as you say they are a pain to do anything but helm when wearing them,
I don’t think in 50 years of sailing have I given another water user the middle finger, just treat them with the contempt they deserve.

Gsailor

Visit site
I'm almost sure they're available under cheaper names, but still: I must put in a word for Arthur Beale's Arctic Seaboot Socks, which are more or less just sheep for your feet. After a week or so they smell markedly of sheep, but not yet of feet. Not like cotton socks which are (on me at least) pretty bad after one day.
I like the union jack.

Only 72% wool...are merino woollen socks better?

Arthur Beale Arctic Seaboot Socks

Last edited:

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Gsailor - I was a bit surprised by that lowish percentage too. Didn't smell of 28% polymer though! They are warmer and easier to wash but less hardwearing than 100% wool hiking socks I have had, but probably there are other wool socks as warm out there if you can find a similar sort of bulky fluffy construction. Yes the labels are slightly naff.

rotrax

Visit site
After thirty plus years of winter motorcycling I found that the best for me was Sealskinz with 'Bama' welly sockettes over the top.

A January Exeter trial could mean being on the bike 15-17 hours.

The 'Bama' sockettes are still available, I bought some for a Feburary fishing trip last year.

You need to have boots a good size or two bigger to get them on though.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
JCB thermal work socks. Very, very warm and hard wearing. Only£7-8 per pair in Wynnstay farmers' merchants. Daresay you can get them elsewhere.
I am on my feet out in the cold all day and these are brilliant

PlankWalker

Visit site
I get my socks from Quebec, They come in one color, grey with white toe and heel and red and white top, they are a slightly courser wool than British socks, And the Quebeckers know a thing or two about cold feet.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Gill waterproof socks (post 8). Until you have tried them, you just don't know. I wish I had found them decades ago, but I was put off by the unimpressive Goretex socks that I bought in 1980. These are MUCH better. Also good for winter cycling, but as good as shoe covers.

As for non-waterproof socks, I gave up wool 20 years ago in favor of fleece, which is the same warmth per unit thickness (I did the lab testing, wet and dry) dry several times faster, and are less "squishy" when wet. But how the Luddites will howl.

Birdseye

Visit site
We have used ski socks, but anything similar would do. The chief thing is to keep your core temperature up and then rewarming feet and hands is easier.
absolutely right. For winter racing I wear a flotation suit sold to fishermen - the foam lining is a great insulator. Thick wooly socks and wellies. Problem always is the hands because there is no way to insulate them and still have them useable. A good spell of short tacking always helps.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
I suffer from Raynauds, or in other words crap circulation to the hands and feet. and have spent most of my life trying to find the best way to keep those bits warm.

After years of 'trial and improvement' I've found that mohair socks work best. They cost a bit eye wateringly more than your usual sock but wear Corrymoor Adventurer. Having given them a good test on a trip from Plymouth to Essex 7th-10th Dec. they really are warm in winter and cool in summer. I'm in the process of changing my entire sock collection to mohair. They also don't get smelly if worn on a long passage.

A good sea boot always helps.
Corrymoor mohair socks are superb

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Also remember the Maine figure of speech:

"If your feet are cold, put on a hat."

I'm a big believer in even layers, including balaclavas under hats, and even ski goggles below ~ 5C.

Also from Maine:

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing."