so are you going to sail through the UK winter?

Birdseye

Visit site
In UK waters that is? I have in the past raced through to New Years day and then re-started end January. But racing is time limited to max 6 hours and is reasonably active. Wouldnt fancy cruising, anchoring overnight etc.

What about you|?

wonkywinch

Visit site
20240111_173943.jpg

Last Jan (11th) anchored opposite two Cunards watching firework display.

As long as it's not raining/snowing, quite happy with winter sailing. As they say, no such thing as wrong weather, it's always wrong clothing.

dunedin

Visit site
Over the years, one only has to look over the empty river Blackwater in the winter, to see that whatever people on this forum say about how good winter sailing is- they are clearly not actually doing it. Just armchair dreamers talking nonsense.
Speak for yourself. Believe it or not there is a world beyond the Blackwater. Just off to the boat now.

Clearly the long nights can make anchoring less appealing mid winter. But lots of space in harbours and marinas if prefer.
And winter sailing doesn’t need to be overnight. We often go for the day, sail round a couple of spectacular islands and back home in time for dinner.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I sail in winter every second year, boat out the water at the end of every alternate season. I have sailed in the winter my whole life.

Location West Coast of Scotland, Oban area. The frequency of poor weather is not that high. Of course it is colder, but plenty of decent sailing weather to be had. Also my garden demands are significantly less.

Up at the boat now and it has been windy and showery, typical autumn weather. This morning it was cold, light winds and a bit overcast but the sun has hinted it will come out. I may fall asleep again in front of the heater.

Boathook

Visit site
I've thought about winter sailing but it would mean moving the boat to another 'harbour' as where I'm at the outer approaches aren't 'marked' from mid November to Easter. I've got a 3Kw warm air heater but it is only in the main cabin. I should have spent more time in trying to work out the ducting route to the forward cabins. Even after10 years I still not sure how I would run the ducting !

I am sailing on someone else's boat early December for a weekend and in the past it has been cold ! My hands and feet notice the cold even with decent kit.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
I have, and liked it, but the short days are a serious range limiter. Then there are all the days that are too still or too windy. So in practice I will have a winter gap, but as short as I can make it.

winch2

Visit site
First year with new (to us) boat which needs this winter in the yard so sadly not, and I can feel the withdrawal setting in already. This weekend was our last opportunity and Mrs W is in bed ill. Maybe I'll just go down, row out, make a coffee and blub into a mouldy digestive!

Never Grumble

Visit site
Have in the past but unless you can get out regularly the barnacles take over the propellor and the hull quickly becomes covered with weed. So nowadays I dont bother.

capnsensible

Visit site
Used to sail all through UK winters. Even when people weren't giving me money to do so. But I got fed up with being cold all the time. Wet all the time. And the skin peeling off my fingers. Age has put an end to all that.

So I've swapped layers and layers of lagging for factor 30 sunscreen.

Good luck, young peeps. It was fun.

dunedin

Visit site
Used to sail all through UK winters. Even when people weren't giving me money to do so. But I got fed up with being cold all the time. Wet all the time. And the skin peeling off my fingers. Age has put an end to all that.

So I've swapped layers and layers of lagging for factor 30 sunscreen.

Good luck, young peeps. It was fun.
That’s because you were sailing to a fixed timetable and therefore on the wrong days. It’s mainly retirees not “young peeps” out over the winter (excluding racers and sailing school boats).
Those who are not tied to a work schedule can time their winter sailing for the nice weather days. Lots of wet windy SW days, but in between also get plenty of sunny gentle wind days. Wear good clothes (but rarely if ever need to wear oilskins in winter sailing) and keep the sprayhood up.

Scubadoo

Visit site
Have in the past but unless you can get out regularly the barnacles take over the propellor and the hull quickly becomes covered with weed. So nowadays I dont bother.
The opposite for me, during winter nothing much grows on the hull particularly no barnacles on the props, not the case during the summer if I unable to use the boat for a while.

I like to use the boat in winter on those nice calm sunny days, usually a day trip out with the occasional stay at a marina. It's a great experience being the only ones out there sometimes and guaranteed access to marinas at a winter rate. I remember some years ago going to bembridge when it started to snow which eventually cleared, only two boats there, a great experience. I do my annual maintenance in April/May and found I get less marine growth for the summer compared to when I used to be out in November and launch February, I got fed up with numb hands working on the hull.

Boathook

Visit site
I did a week in the Solent late October just before covid. Really nice sailing with gentle winds and sunshine. Cold at night !
Still managed the G&T in the sun as it set, then a snooze and wine with supper ....