snobs

piggo

Visit site
As a former Moody owner I am suprised by the snobbish attitude of Moodys when replying to my waves when passing at sea.

Are they just envious of my new Beneteau or what!

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Hmm
People in traditional wooden gaff/bowspritted things can be a bit arsey I've noticed. Don't know why anyone who owned a Moody would think they were a cut above though.
Anyway, is it me or is the waving thing just beginning to fizzle a bit, particularly among younger crews? Its a bit like saying hello to people when you are out in the mountains - it used to be that we all did it but its definately dropped off a bit now.
Shame really.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Sybarite

Visit site
Snob is an interesting word. Apparently in the P.O.S.H. clubs, people signing in would add their titles. Those without any - sine nobilis - would contract this to S.nob.

Just a little bit of useless information.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: waving, Moodys etc

I think I can shed some light here.

If waving to a Moody, from a Beneteau, there's no way that the Moody owner can identify the waver as a former Moody owner. So, our friend with the benny has to shout "Iused to have a Moody too!" which of course leaves the wavees thinking "eh? tosser, there's no such boat as a Moody Two". Or, he might simply shout "I used to have a Moody!" which is no better - a moody what? a moody wife? Is he calling you moody, dearest? What could the response be? "Don't worry, after the first 15 years they get used to the fact that you never fix the house!" It hardly merits a wave though, does it? Especially if the wife is on board.

This only partly explains the lack of waving from old gaff cutters. Waving to them is pretty much the same as shouting "I'm glad you got that clankity slow old boat and not me!" and so it obvioulsy doesn't go down very well, unless from a similarly nanky old boat.

Of course, it would be a great pity if waving to other boats goes out of fashion. I'm definitely doing my bit, though. Whenever we pass by a large ferry or cruise ship, I instruct the entire crew to wave to all the poor people standing out on the decks. We all wave and shout "hello, poor people!" and they all wave back happily.

<hr width=100% size=1>

squidge

Visit site
Will always wave back, but sometimes find that its not the make of boat but the people on board, I usually sail with my two young children who enthusiastically wave at any thing that floats and are abashed when its not reciprocated.Although i must admit im not so enthusatic after an owners club jolly the previous eve.
So if you are in Ramsgate/ North France next weekend and see us ,give a wave and see./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site
I would not have thought that owning a moody was anything to be snobbish about!! A poor man's oyster or what!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

summerwind

Visit site

Now I could be wrong here, I often am, but the probable reason the crews of old gaff cutters don't wave to Moody owners is that they haven't got time because they are too busy manning the helm, pulling bits of string and watching the sea.

Moody owner do not have this problem of course. Helm mans itself. String pulling is relegated to pushing a button. The sea is that wet thing that tries to ruin the disigner clothes and gets clogged up with plebs sailing wooden gaff rigged boats.

All said whilst tugging on the forelock of course :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

burgundyben

Visit site

load of clap trap and a bit rich coming from a bloke who was sailing (?) a bav round the solent a couple of weeks ago

<hr width=100% size=1>Wanted - Austin Healey 110/6 or 3000 to rebuild, LHD considered.

G

As an Englishman who pleads guilty to owning a French boat I would be very grateful to be waved at by a former Moody owner but as I am usually creaming along with the lee rail under and both hands desperately clasped to the tiller as I whizz past all those Moodys and strange looking gaff riggers please don't be offended if I omit to wave back.( I admit that I did charter a Moody once and I have to say it had a very nice bathroom.)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Will_M

Visit site
Just the other week was aboard the recently ex-Weymouth Arun 52 life boat, boat no longer owned by the RNLI, now privately owned.

We were delivering it from Chi to Tilbury docks for onward delivery aboard on container ship for its new owner.

Must say, easy mistake as it looks just like any active service life boat, nearly every body gave us a wave as we passed on our way, did get abit bloody repetitive waving back all the time though...

<hr width=100% size=1>

max_power

Visit site
Are you waving or yodeling Claymore ?

You could be getting a bit mixed up - hence the problem.

Waving is still going strong round my way and even those TCDA's (Testosterone Charged Deck Apes) on racers have been known to give a wave now and then. My long site is still going down hill though and it's probably two fingers as I stand on in the rigidly looking forward mode. I propose to adopt this same position when I get a mobility scooter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Re: Are you waving or yodeling Claymore ?

I think its easier to see people waving when they are standing in an open cockpit. Unfortunately recent prevailing climatic conditions have made precipitation a major feature of everyday scottish sailing life.
From the warmth and protection of the semi enclosed wheelhouse, one raises a cardigan sleeved arm, perhaps with a steaming cup of something pleasant held in the hand - as a gesture of friendship and commiseration to those less fortunate who are testing their MPX and Gortex to its limits.
You'd be amazed at the number of pairs of digits raised back!

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif