Snap Shackles (Tylaska)

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
I have always used decent quality (Gibb/Wichard) snap shackles on Spinnaker sheets and the like. Looking at the Tylaska alternatives I am struggling to understand what the are SOOO much more expensive?

Can anyone enlighten me as to why is is worth paying the premium for these?

Martin_J

Visit site
When you compare prices, are you comparing like for like and looking at the Gibb/Wichard snap shackles with the pivot pin central - i.e. in line with the rope center?

They are more expensive than the style with the pivot pin to one side but allow for easier sail release..

Debenair

Visit site
Buy them from the states, and including postage +'VAT on the lot it will cost you about 65% of the best UK price.

They are simply so much better cos there are no protrusions which can trigger release by accident. I installed them on my Genoa and spinny halyards last year after my Wichard shackle gave up on me at the top of the mast no less than 3 times when it was supposed to be retaining my UV sock over the genny.

H4B

Visit site
Buy them from the states, and including postage +'VAT on the lot it will cost you about 65% of the best UK price.

They are simply so much better cos there are no protrusions which can trigger release by accident. I installed them on my Genoa and spinny halyards last year after my Wichard shackle gave up on me at the top of the mast no less than 3 times when it was supposed to be retaining my UV sock over the genny.
Don't forget Customs Duty . Sometimes you get clobbered other times nothing . ????