Smoking ban - Ireland.

westernsailor

Visit site
From Monday next 29th March, smoking is banned in the workplace.

This includes hotels, restaurants, clubs, bars etc. Yippee I cannot wait. Hopeful the blue haze will be gone. I cannot stand smoking is restaurants.

The object of this legislation it to stop passive smoking thay may endanger the health of employees.

The cost of con compliance is €3,000 on the sinner and even the owner of the establishment where the offence is committed

However there are as not no enforcement personnel.

PS. Come on the Blues tonight, lets not make it 17 losses in a row to Arsenal.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mikewilkes

Visit site
I suspect, like Britain, that your country could not really afford the loss of tax that smoking brings.
The British government are trying to go down the same road, but Charlie Brown would squeal like a stuffed pig if everybody quit!!!
All the arguments like extra cost to the NHS etc would then be transfered to Pensions because everybody lives longer. You cant really win.

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Re: Taxes

This is a total 'non-argument'.

1 Peeps who continue to smoke will do so - just elsewhere away from normal people
2 Ex - smokers say they eat and drink more which will compensate pubs etc
3 Peeps who stay away (like us) will go back to more socially acceptable places and spend more (Use current club as an example) on booze and food
4 NHS will spend less on all the smoking related illnesses

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
They introduced the same thing in France a few years ago but nobody pays a blind bit of attention to it. I am exaggeraring but in cafés and bars you still have ashtrays set out on the tables.

Because of the potential loss of revenues to restaurant owners eg cigar sales - they re-introduced smoking areas but the niceties of the division are frequently ignored.

Good for Ireland. I have a no smoking policy inside the boat. People, if they must, may smoke on deck but not inside and no exceptions.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

racingron

Visit site

Surely if there was enough demand for non smoking bars etc. they'd be more prevalent? With the exception of "eateries" (repulsive places like Weatherspoons) most pubs south coast allow smoking throughout.

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Re: demand

The change is taking place albeit slowly, even I as a consumer appreciate that it is a big risk for a proprietor to turn away business, however much. This is why we need someone else to make the decision for them, then it is arbitary and the strong willed proprietors don't lose out.
Banning smoking in public places is a win/win proposition - no one is saying you can't smoke, they can go elsewhere as in the workplace - and the non smokers are not put upon.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DeeGee

Visit site

It is not British to go into a pub and complain about the smoking. It is Briish to go in and grumble to yourself.

No True Brit landlord would take any notice if your DID complain; he would point out that you do have an alternative (loudly).

No True Brit landlord would believe that his food sales might go up if he had a genuine no-smoking area.

Once upon a time 'the customer is always right' - changed somewhere to 'the customer should be ignored, we know best'.

<hr width=100% size=1>Black Sugar - the sweetest of all

pugwash

Visit site
no smoking in the park

In today's D.Telegraph a columnist describes how he smoked a cigar last Sunday morning while watching his kids in a playground in Hyde Park but was approached by an embarrassed cop who asked him to stop because some parents were concerned. The cop said there was a no smoking notice inside the pavilion. I'm very much against smoking in certain internal public places such as restaurants and airports but it should be allowed in special smoking spaces such as bars set aside for the purpose. But this action, if correctly reported, is high-handed and nonsensical.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nich39Nige

Visit site
Re: no smoking in the park

There is an area of Bournemouth beach.....outside...in the open air...including the prom where smoking has been banned. Another import from California.

I smoke and enjoy smoking. I do not smoke in resturants as I cannot abide it either but non smokers..nay ex-smokers wish to deny me my pleasure. I pay huge taxs on my habit and so far have never had a smoking related problem with my health. Several pubs in my area tried a smoking ban , non of which lasted more than a month due to considerable loss of customers. I have never seen a non smoking pub or heard of one that makes a profit.

I'm pleased that some of you are able to kick the habit but please live and let live.

Nige

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site

I don't think many people are trying to stop you smoking - please feel free to continue. I for one am grateful that the duty you pay keeps my taxes down a bit.

However it is not unreasonable for those of us who don't like smoking to be able to go about our lives without having to be assulted by other people's smoke. So I support a ban in those places where I have to be - for example on train stations, in "official" buildings, at work.

That does not necessarily include pubs and restaurants - because it is my choice whether I go there or not - but as I understand it the reason for the proposed ban is to protect the health of the staff, not the patrons, so it is difficult issue.

I think there is great demand for smoke-free pubs - but this is not adequately tested by one pub banning smoking. A change like that would inevitably drive away the regular clientelle who did smoke but those who might prefer to visit a smoke free environment would not necessarily realise that it had become a non-smoking pub...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nich39Nige

Visit site

I'm in agreement. I do not smoke at work, on public transport or any other public building but when smoking is banned in the open air I do feel agrieved.

<hr width=100% size=1>

l'escargot

Visit site

It is not a "demand" issue, it is a Health & Safety at Work issue and the ban is to protect employees, in this instance bar staff and waiting staff.

There have been court cases in the states where non-smoking employees have sued employers for a "hazardous environment". It will happen here and smoking will be banned in every workplace be it a bar, a restaurant or an office. Don't underestimate the strength of H&S legislation because it will be them who enforce it.

Smoking will eventually be a habit indulged in in the privacy of one's home.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smallsnail.gif

southchinasea

Visit site

Spot on. I was lucky enough to spend some time in both Sydney and Vancouver recently. Every restaurant we went in to, in both cities, was a)non smoking and b)packed out. Smokers got up during their meals and went outside for their fix. It was brilliant. Smokers seemed relaxed and the staff I spoke to were delighted. It's got to be the way to go surely.

<hr width=100% size=1>

CaptainChaos

Visit site
"I would hope not - whether you like smoking or not - smoking down below on a boat with gas onboard is plain dangerous."

Is that what Nanny said? Then you'd better not light the gas stove, either...

<hr width=100% size=1>

racingron

Visit site
I do hope you're pulling my leg.

The gas detector on boats is always under the stove so this is the safest place to have an exposed flame. Gas in other parts of the boat may not be so readily detectable.

Gas systems corrode much quicker on boats than those on land and leaks are far more common. That's nothing to mention the danger from leaking, sulphating batteries (that causes explosions as well).

Still it's your neck - I would get off any pleasure yacht where they smoked below decks as I value my life (though I haven't come across one in a very long time).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Davy_S

Visit site
I smoke and will continue to do so until it suits me not to! If it is banned in pubs which I doubt, I will vote with my wallet and go elsewhere. However I would not smoke whilst someone was eating,cos im a nice guy really. Blairs nanny state, combined with do gooders have ruined this country and I cant wait to get out.
Remember his next target is alcohol, that is next for warnings on cans. THEN its the fat people next, why should I pay for an airline ticket just to have some fat git taking up more than half of the seat. They should pay an increase if fat.
Live and let live, while you still can.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordon

Visit site
total nonsense........what about passive exhaust fumes??

smokers are just someone to pick on....easy target....

<hr width=100% size=1>

maxi

Visit site
Re: Davey_S

I had no idea it was you sitting next to me en route to the Cayman Isles, you really should have introduced yourself.

<hr width=100% size=1>

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
If smoking down below on a boat with gas on it is dangerous then so is actually lighting the gas!

(I'm a non-smoker, fwiw, and don't allow smoking down below on my boat - but for a more sensible reason . . .)

- Nick

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com>http://www.bluemoment.com</A></font size=1>