Smoking ban - Ireland.

l'escargot

Visit site
Over the entire adult population yes it is true. Young women are the only group showing any increase, but that is after a significant period of decreasing.
At my age any planned sex life with young women is a memory not a future plan (SWMBO would object as well!).

<hr width=100% size=1>
smallsnail.gif

Jules

Visit site
Re: Health & safety issue.

Smoking is also to be banned in company cars in Ireland, as they are deemed a public place.
The whole creeping Americanisation of Ireland makes me sick.
What is the little rural pub in Mayo going to do when old Paddy comes in for his pint and a half'un at 5 o'clock, as he has done for the last 60 years, and lights his roll-up, and tells them to f**k off when asked to go outside in the rain.
What are the management of a rough pub in Dublin going to do when the local gangster boss lights his cigar?
Tha government has pushed difficult law enforcement into the hands of barstaff.
I am aware of the murders of three doormen in New York trying to stop customers smoking.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Tim_Bennett

Visit site
Umm. This seems to have started a pretty emotive subject. The whole country seems to have become obsessed with petty Nanny State rules and regs. Re smoking, the hysterics are, in the main, ex-smokers who still crave the pleasures of the weed. They are so obsessed with staying smoke-free despite their addiction that they persist in this ridiculous campaign to stop anyone else partaking. Smoking is strategically harmless - otherwise the human race would have become extinct soon after Raleigh's homecoming. So it may shorten one's life by a few years much the same as life's other 'pleasures': eating and drinking too much; driving fast cars; partaking in adventurous sports etc etc. At least smokers pay heavy taxes to compensate for the expense to the Public Purse when it eventually catches up with them. The tobbaco industry also provides essential income for many 3rd World countries.
The main problem is with UK culture - we no longer respect each other. A few years ago people seldom smoked in restaurants through choice and respect to others. Rules were not necessary. Stink boats also slowed down voluntarily. Houses were not broken into on a regular basis. Cars were not stolen and joy-ridden. It was once safe to go out to the inner city for a drink on a Saturday Night.
I don't smoke, but have no problem with those who do - each to their own. I also don't live in the UK - I gave up (with difficulty) after years of watching its once proud culture develop a terminal cancer of Political Correctness, Disrespect, and Control Freakery. I respect you all for putting up with it!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

kdf

Visit site
Re: Health & safety issue.

Actually not quite correct. A company car or a truck is considered a place of work and therefore the ban applies. If you have two employees travelling in a car/truck and one smokes but the other does not then the ban is designed to protect the non smoker from HAVING exposure to smoke. I don't think anyone is going to be presecuted for breaking the law in a company car/truck - its up to the employer to apply whatever sanctions are necessary in this case.

<hr width=100% size=1>