smelly shoes

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
canvas. wash them in machine pref. lots of bleach if you are not too attched to colour

leather. wash and scrub with diluted bleach inside to remove all the gunk, dry, then leave with lots of baking powder in side for a week ina dry place.
this will reduce smell. but it will return after 2 weeks continuous use

i have not been brave enough to try my leather shoes in a machine.i do however have a set that i have ruined the soles on as regards decks are concerned and may try. i left a leather Crew glove in the wash the other day and that has been fine. will keep you posted.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

adarcy

Visit site
Shoes smell because feet especially the soles get seaty
obviously provoked by not enough ventilation w plastic soles

Solution Dubarry ( or others I presume) Gore-Tex shoes
feet warm and dry in hot and cold weather even after a dunking and
no smell at all

Anthony

WayneS

Visit site
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I saw a post here some time ago with some advice from Keith Musto. Having taken his advice I can assure you that roses have nothing on my shoes now.

I washed them in fresh water as normal. However, as you know, this may help for a few hours but they rapidly descend into a sewer again and I am told that this is due to bacteria remaining thin the leather.

To kill off this bacteria, put the shoes into a couple of plastic bags and when SWIMBO is not looking, sneak them into your freezer for 24 hours. If she finds out, claim senile dementia.

I can assure you, it works. Just make sure you let them thaw before you put them on or you will find that you replace “smelly foot” with “frozen foot”.

Cheers

Wayne

ps, mmmm, just realized which board this is. You may not have a freezer to hand. Try sneaking them into the frozen food counter in your local supermarket.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by WayneS on 01/05/2003 10:02 (server time).</FONT></P>

chippie

Visit site
My old Mum who is a great one for the home remedies used to dose our footwear with boracic acid which is a fairly innocuous white powder available from a pharmacy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I squirt some hair shampoo (head and shoulders) in my sailing boots and rinse them round thoroughly several times in the bath using hot water before putting them on the ch boiler to dry.
RB

<hr width=100% size=1>