Smelly loo pipe tips - thank you.

mica

Visit site
Thank you to all who submitted tips on my smelly loo pipes. All were most gratefully received. I have tried a number of your suggestions, including wrapping them in tin foil, and as mentioned this only gave a temporary respite, thinking it had cured the problem, the smell is again slowly finding its way out again. I think it is going to have to be a change of piping when we lay up for the winter. Thank you again to all who responded to my plight,

Best regards
Mica

G

Believe me when I say I have the greatest sympathy for your 'smelly problem' .... But I am always at a loss as to why I can leave my boat for months on end, having just pumped through with clean seawater a few timws, closed the 'cocks' and it is OK when I returbn ... no smell, works etc.

What am I doing 'wrong' ?

incognito

N/A
Visit site
I too, am missing out on this auto-perfuming!!

We have this habit of flushing about half a gallon of fresh water with some disinfectant in it (although we had no trouble before we institued the routine, it's just that prevention is easier than cure).

Perhaps your routine is deficient - we have a standing rule that the flush process always finishes with 5 suck+expel strokes which suck in new water, then the user switches to expel only, pumps the bowl to empty (that means simply into the pipe work) and then 15 strokes to clear the pipe work.

You should check, when berthed, how many strokes are needed to get bubbles of air-only coming out the exhaust vent of the loo. Those pipes are pretty long, and they must be emptied.

We make that final pumping with water+disinfectant in exactly the same way... pump through, then 15 strokes to expel the lot.

incognito

N/A
Visit site
Oh yes, we too always close the sea-cocks. But then, we close all the sea cocks, cos I read once on SB about someones boat sinking in it's berth, and I thought... "Noooo thanks!"