Smell of petrol, or not?

Falling Star

Visit site
Do all outboard powered boats with a tank in the lazerette smell of petrol? We have had diesels on shafts before so no experience with outboards.

Viewed a couple of boats recently and there was a distinct petrol odour. Is that always the way?

Adetheheat

Visit site
So it's not just me. I was about to create a thread about it. I have a Beneteau Antares 750 motor boat but inside the cockpit it smells of fuel - although the fuel tank is outside next to the outboard.
Is this normal?

julians

Visit site
Do all outboard powered boats with a tank in the lazerette smell of petrol? We have had diesels on shafts before so no experience with outboards.

Viewed a couple of boats recently and there was a distinct petrol odour. Is that always the way?
No it's not normal, could indicate a small leak, or maybe the tank breather hose is cracked, become unattached or similar.

julians

Visit site
So it's not just me. I was about to create a thread about it. I have a Beneteau Antares 750 motor boat but inside the cockpit it smells of fuel - although the fuel tank is outside next to the outboard.
Is this normal?
No, not normal. Could be fuel in the bilge?

simonfraser

Visit site
according to some others in the yard, the MF 695/2 has been 'upgraded' with extra passive ventilation hoses to kill off the fuel smell specifically in the aft cockpit section

is there always just a hint of a smell, but it depends on how well ventilated ??

Bouba

Visit site
Could be just spillage...lots of people fill petrol boats from jerrycans because it’s cheaper to get fuel from Tesco...then they try filling on a pitching deck...fuel goes everywhere including the sea

Falling Star

Visit site
according to some others in the yard, the MF 695/2 has been 'upgraded' with extra passive ventilation hoses to kill off the fuel smell specifically in the aft cockpit section

is there always just a hint of a smell, but it depends on how well ventilated ??
So I guess Jeanneau must have had several cases reported for them to bring out the upgrade.

The two boats we looked at and noticed the smell were both MF's.

Is this only a Beneteau and Merry Fisher problem?

Portofino

Visit site
Fuel smell lingering excessively after fill ups esp brimming it on a classic car .

Here’s a short fuel pipe taken off a car .Runs from filler faucet to a tank .

E17C30F6-DCEE-4618-8126-76FA484CE6DB.jpeg
Doesn’t look so bad ^ ?
Watch when squeezed below .
51AF3D06-FD1F-43C7-8D9F-87E60C775BC7.jpeg
Porous as hell ^

New section fitted below .
32F419E2-21A8-4C3B-A8E0-12C9C055795B.jpeg
Smell evaporated so to speak 😀Never returned .

Falling Star

Visit site
So the consensus seems to be, don't spill fuel and also check pipes/hoses for leaks and porosity. Is that enough to prevent a smell or do some model outboard boats have an inherent problem?

Bouba

Visit site
So the consensus seems to be, don't spill fuel and also check pipes/hoses for leaks and porosity. Is that enough to prevent a smell or do some model outboard boats have an inherent problem?
Like any petrol engine....if the timing is retarded there is a smell in the air from un burned fuel