Slippy Capt. Fields

briankerry

Visit site
My parallel rulers are proving less manageable than they once were, even on a becalmed dining table. I see that one of the little circular pads on the underneath is missing and that the others are looking messy. Can they be the cause of my dilemma and are they fixable?

<hr width=100% size=1>

JamesS

Visit site
I haven't used parralel rulers for years.

If you can't fix it, treat yourself to a Bretton Plotter, a lot easier to use and it saves looking for the wretched compass rose which is always on the other end of the chart.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
i too haven't used parallel rules for years. i was surprised to learn that the professionals still use them exclusively. personally i wouldn't be without my breton plotter.

you can buy self-adhesive 'feet' for electrical gadgets, i used to get mine from tandy (our local one has gone - anyone know if the company still exists?) you could try a computer shop or office stationers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicS

Visit site
Diy stores eg Homebase sell self adhesive feet which may do the trick 'tho I suspect they may be too thick. May be possible to pare them down with a scalpel.

Otherwise try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.maplin.co.uk>Maplin</A> tho' may have the same problem.

Best solution:give to someone doing evening classes and buy Douglas protractor or Bretton plotter

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicS

Visit site
A further thought: cycle puncture repair patches look about the right thickness.

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
I doggedly soldiered on with Parralel rules until last year I bought a portland plotter. Now I would not use anything else.

<hr width=100% size=1>

briankerry

Visit site
Thanks to all of you, and particularly those who suggested alternative sticky bits. I do use a Breton plotter routinely and have used a Douglas protractor on occasion. I am trying to give my 12 year old experience of a variety of instruments and therefore still wish to include the good old Capt. Fields. Does anyone out there know what was traditionally used to 'slip-proof' this device?

<hr width=100% size=1>